The database DbName is not accessible

• From SSMS, I right clicked on a db and selected Tasks, Take Offline. A dialog poped up and I clicked close. Now when I try to access the db through SSMS, I get the message 'The database dbName is not accessible (ObjectExplorer)'.

In the SQL Server log, I see the message: Setting the database option OFFLINE to ON for database DbName at the time when I right clicked to take offline, but no other error messages.

It's acting as if it couldn't complete the steps to take the db offline.

What should I do next?

Thanks,

Rob

Edit: One other thing, the option to Bring Online from SSMS is greyed out as well.

• Okay, SSMS has come back and I can access that database -- but I never got a message saying it couldn't take the database offline. Hmm. Is a better option to do something like:

ALTER DATABASE [DbName] SET OFFLINE WITH

ROLLBACK AFTER 30 SECONDS

Hmmmm,

Rob

• I usually say WITH ROLLBACK IMMEDIATE, that terminates connections and starts the rolback straight way. Depends how important what's currently running against the DB is.

Still, that only starts the rollback, so if there's a long running transaction it could take quite some time to complete going offline.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thanks Gail; that did the trick (rather than the SSMS interface).

ALTER DATABASE DbName

SET SINGLE_USER WITH ROLLBACK IMMEDIATE

GO

and then

ALTER DATABASE DbName

SET MULTI_USER

GO

Thanks,

Rob

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply