The data types varchar and datetime2 are incompatible in the add operator.

• In the procedure i have date column as datetime2

declare @date datetime2 = null,  @CaptureError varchar(100)

when i am logging this variable like below

SET @CaptureError= @CaptureError + ' ,Date: ' + coalesce(@Date, 'NULL')

this is getting error as data types varchar and datetime2 are incompatible in the add operator.

what is the workaround for this?

• Explicitly convert @Date to CHAR or VARCHAR.

--Vadim R.

• SET @CaptureError= @CaptureError + ' ,Date: ' + convert(varchar(10), @Date,101)

Is this correct?

• you were originally planning to handle the null, so this is a bit better:

SET @CaptureError= @CaptureError + ' ,Date: ' + coalesce(convert(varchar(10), @Date,101), 'NULL')

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Yes, but as written you'll get NULL because @CaptureError and @Date are nulls. Assign some values and test it.

--Vadim R.

• May i know the reason why i get this error The data types varchar and datetime2 are incompatible in the add operator. when i changed variable from date time to datetime2.

• datatime has an implicit conversion to varchar, based on your locale. datetime2 does not.

the map below from microsoft has some other examples.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by  Lowell. Reason: wrong map!

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• mcfarlandparkway wrote:

May i know the reason why i get this error The data types varchar and datetime2 are incompatible in the add operator. when i changed variable from date time to datetime2.

It's because of the way that datetime and datetime2 are stored.  One of them is big-endian and the other is little-endian (I forget which is which), so you can do addition on one, but not the other.

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• Lowell wrote:

datatime has an implicit conversion to varchar, based on your locale. datetime2 does not.

Lowell, I'm a bit confused. The map you posted kind of shows that datetime2 also has an implicit conversion to varchar?

--Vadim R.

•  

Instead of suffering for the type conversion - use CONCAT which will take care of the conversion for you:

Declare @CaptureError varchar(100) = 'This is an error'
    , @Date datetime2 = sysdatetime();

Select @CaptureError, @Date, concat(@CaptureError, ', Date: ', @Date);

It even works for NULL...

, @Date datetime2 = Null;

Select @CaptureError, @Date, concat(@CaptureError, ', Date: ', @Date);

If you need an explicit format for the date:

, @Date datetime2 = sysdatetime();

Select @CaptureError, @Date, concat(@CaptureError, ', Date: ', convert(char(10), @Date, 101));

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply