The configuration of the AdminConnection\TCP protocol in the SQL instance %% is not valid.

• Ran into an odd issue which I wanted to see if I can get any feedback from anyone out there...

Legacy windows 2003 2 node cluster. 4 instances of MSSQL installed (sql 2005). No connectivity issues in the past.

Yesterday, get notified that someone cannot resolve the named instance name remotely...I test from my local machine and I can get to it...I dismiss as their issue.

Same comment today, and I repeat my test from my machine, it works. but then we try to telnet from the remote machine and that doesn't work...hmmm.

I remote into another machine with SSMS installed, I try to connect to the named instance...I get the same error, not able to resolve...

I suspect the sql browser service is either not running at this point or not functioning correct.

I restart it and still no luck...then I notice warnings in the event viewer...

The configuration of the AdminConnection\TCP protocol in the SQL instance VS04 is not valid.

EDIT:

ok I now realize this warning isn't causing my connectivity issue...I cleaned up the above warning.

From a testing connectivity standpoint can anyone make any recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Lee

• Possible firewall blocking the traffic (software or hardware)? You could narrow it down to a SQL Browser issue if users cannot connect using SERVERNAME\INSTANCE but can connect using SERVERNAME,PORTNUMBER. If they can connect via the port number then it could be traffic is being blocked on UDP port 1434 (SQL browser port) or an issue with SQL Browser.

• JeremyE (11/19/2015)

Possible firewall blocking the traffic (software or hardware)? You could narrow it down to a SQL Browser issue if users cannot connect using SERVERNAME\INSTANCE but can connect using SERVERNAME,PORTNUMBER. If they can connect via the port number then it could be traffic is being blocked on UDP port 1434 (SQL browser port) or an issue with SQL Browser.

Exactly what it was...I was just coming back to post my reply on my stupidity...

I had looked at it initially and overlooked the person who set it up previously in testing had the wrong protocol.

Flipped that and it worked.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Lee

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply