The College Experience

• Terri,

Got any vacancies?

actually very happy where I work, poor money, but in walking distance of home... And an unstressed environment...

• Sarah Dutkiewicz (10/17/2007)

Just adding my 2 cents here...

Most of my friends have their degrees. However, one of my friends does not have his degree. He has a lot of experience with network administration, system administration, and owning his own company. I had passed his resume on to some people, and one of the first things an HR lady told me was "he doesn't have a degree, and the position requires it". It's a shame because he has everything they're looking for. However, since he doesn't have that piece of paper, they aren't looking at him. It's sad how they use it as a filter - when there are so many people out there with the experience that would fill the slot but no degree due to whatever circumstances.

That's the problem with large corporate HR departments, they go by a specific list of requirements. I have over 20 years experience in database development, over a decade in SQL Server administration, 15 years in network administration, and no degree. I'm working on said degree right now, conveniently my wife (a PhD) works for a university running a 3.5 meter telescope and I get six credits per semester free.

I'll probably be VERY close to retirement age before I have my degree, but I'm not terribly concerned about it. My current employer liked my resume even without a degree, they were slightly concerned about the lack of a degree so they set up a test which I flew through and got the position. But there were a number of jobs that I didn't bother applying for because they specified a degree, and I knew that I wouldn't get past the HR filter.

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• I don't know about everyone else but I entered not one branch of the military but two branches (AF, then the Marines) to finish my degrees. Talk about internal fortitude. When I didn't have a college degree my paychecks were just getting me by and the jobs I had were boring and unmotivating. I went into the military because I wanted disciple, pride, and would not have been able to afford college on my own. My degrees are not in IT but in Electronics. Along with my degrees I have had to pursue additional certifications and work hard to transition into becoming a DBA. I've never had a negative remark either way on my degrees and knowing or not knowing a specific question an interviewer asked. My resume has always gotten my foot in the door and my attitude has assisted me in getting the jobs that I've wanted. So whether your credentials are work experience, degrees or certifications, what it all boils down to is the person and how you can sell yourself.

Viewing 3 posts - 61 through 62 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply