The Best Database

• The commercials are part of the experience, but I agree they get to be a bit much.

As for rugby, I played for two years. Very enjoyable, albeit bruising.

• OK - you're american-centric for a good reason. Point conceded.

I have to admit I like American Football and have watched it since the 1986 when it came to the UK. I adopted the Giants as my team as they finished really badly (my UK football team are not glamourous and I thought they would fit me nicely). Then the Giants go and win the superbowl the next year.  D'oh. I should have supported the pre-Glazier Tampa Bay. a 16-year wait for success would have been more appropriate (my football team last won something important 40 years ago...)

regs

Neil.

• Always been a Cowboy fan, but actually lived in London for the 87, Giants-Broncos Super Bowl. Rooted for the Broncos to lose (they did) and now I live in Denver, can't help but root for the home team.

• I've noticed a few F1 related posts and I agree the data is huge with teams like WilliamsF1 requiring the help of HP to manage all their data needs.

Here in Australia the Motorsport of choice is V8 Supercars and to put some perspective on what data requirements are involved, the cars on average capture 4Mb of data per lap.

Unlike F1 where teams have live telemetry, the V8 category has prohibited this in order to curve expenditure for the smaller teams.

2 cars per team, 40-50 laps per race plus practice sessions, 3 races per weekend. All adds up!

• Yemin, I worked out soem figures on this very subject for F1 in an earlier post:

"According to an interview I've found on news.com, The ferrari team reckons they transfer about 1GB of data between the car and the pits during a race, and this does not include the data logged in the car for later retreival. So, thats 20GB for all cars on the grid during a race x3 (as there are practice sessions etc) = 60GB per race weekend. Multiply this by 19 races = 1.9Tb over a season and this certainly doesnt count the offical practice days which are 35 a year or something and they are about 2 race distances so add another 4.2Tb

So on just running the cars the F1 padock ranks up 6.1Tb of data a year.

"

• I reckon you can't just discount soccer (or football to everybody else outside US  ).  The TV stats have gone crazy in the last few years recording shots on target, shots off target, passes completed, tackle won, fouls, percentage time the ball was in play, near each goal etc.

I also use this website from time to time which is very database orientated (no pictures or articles - just the facts and figures): http://www.soccerbase.com

And while we are on the subject of the football (soccer) world cup..... COME ON ENGLAND!!!! 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2006/teams/england/default.stm

Viewing 6 posts - 46 through 50 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply