The answer to life, the universe and prime numbers

• Of course every sci fi person would know this, but it was fun seeing how you got to the answer. We now know the question.

• Thank you all for the interesting discussion, don't panic and remember the Towel day[/url]

😎

• Shadab Shah (2/26/2015)

So Experts, which is the correct explanation. Either given by Eirikur Eiriksson or Toreador.

The one given by Toreador. The implicit conversion from -51 to varchar(1) discovers that '-51'is 3 characters, which is more than 1, so it delivers '*' to indicate that the the conversion was not possible.

Tom

• Excellent post , Toreador. You are right. The * means only that the value -51 cannot represent any ASCII character for which the minimum value is 0 ( maybe , in English , it means that or , if my remembrance is not too bad , SQL Server represents always invalid values by * ).

As soon as we know that , the "good answer" is evident. And if we know the numerical value for * ( 42 ) , that's 2 points easy to grab.

I hope that I have not written in an English too difficulty understandable.

• Nice question, thanks.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• patricklambin (2/26/2015)

Excellent post , Toreador. You are right. The * means only that the value -51 cannot represent any ASCII character for which the minimum value is 0.

Actually that's not what I said, and it's not true. The * means that "-51" is too long to fit into a varchar(1) field.

If you try ASCII("-51") you will get 45, which is the ascii value for "-" - the rest of the string is ignored.

• Hahahaha yes 42 is the answer to everything

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply