The Active DBA

• Ride my bike to work 2 days a week, longer ride on weekend. Lift weights 3 days a week. But I get lots of exercise at work: jumping to conclusions, running off at the mouth...:w00t:

• (Great topic Steve, yet again!)

Speaking as likely one of the few (if not only) posters here on SSC who is also a registered member of AARP, let me tell you that it is vital to be active - not only in your personal life, but at work too! It’s not only your physical being that will benefit, but your brain as well!

Now I need to state an 'aside' here for the generations that came after mine because you guys do have a bit of a problem...

That is, seems the generations after mine think that "exercise" means you have to go out, spend a few hundred or thousand dollars on something in spandex, and then purchase the latest Bowflex to be "exercising". Not so. I am a mountain biker and have been for over three decades and I still ride in my ripped up shorts and sweatshirt on my aging scraped-up Trek and I find I get the exact same benefit as those who try to dress up like retired super-heroes riding the latest titanium contraption. No, I cannot ride up trees and walls like I once did - but I still get the same benefit, and I think I have solved more business and management challenges while thinking during my rides than I have planted at the desk. Riding gets the endorphins flowing, and Mr. Brain seems to compute more efficiently. As well, living here in New England (in the good old USA), any huge software design, business or management problem seems small when I am out in the natural world – and that has, more often than not, made the solution more apparent than if one just sits at a desk and tries to solve the worlds digital problems by staring into the code hoping a fresh idea will arise.

According to my doctor, people should not sit at a desk for anything longer than two hour stretches and after she banged that into my head, I have made it a habit to get up from the desk and take a walk whenever possible for at least five minutes. I do three or four "cruises" around our office park every day I am at the office and weather permits - and if I am on the road, I try to do the same. It makes a big difference, clears the brain, and of course doesn’t hurt physically either.

As well, I recommend that my people do that too. I know from my years of software development that staring at a monitor with a problem at hand does not always yield the solution, and more often than not, taking some time away and getting the blood flowing can bring new ideas which in more cases than not, led to good solutions.

One thing that is kind of sad here in America is that our health plans all tout ‘good health’ and exercise and yet I have worked for companies where if you get up from your desk, you are then deemed to be “not working”. That’s bull – and I have held more than a few meetings while walking with my team members outside. Amazing how different some people are when you are out walking as a group as opposed to sitting across from each other under the glow of the whiteboard.

So I say exercise because it will matter to your head as well as your body, and remember that a five minute walk (no spandex required) will get your heart rate going, feed that brain and keep you young.

As my favorite admin assistant likes to say to me; I am in my mid-50’s, but I look “eternally 49”. (Not sure if I should give her a raise, or fire her!)

There's no such thing as dumb questions, only poorly thought-out answers...
  • skjoldtc (8/8/2008)

Woodchopping with a nice sharp axe.

Axes, martial arts practitioners-

If I wasn't sure before, now I'm definitely staying in well-lit areas after the next tech conference! :w00t:

Outrunning bears -

I guess I need to set the treadmill to a MUCH higher speed if I'm going to survive in this field.

• Glad you guys like the topic and great to see so many people active. Just got back in from walking about 1000 yards to drop hay, so that's a big of exercise for me. Especially with the ATV in the shop. Wagon and walking for a week!

I'd have thought that Gail and Grant would just sit a bow in the corner of their cube and eliminate all complaints in person. Hard to get out of range in a cube farm :w00t:

Actually as I've gotten older, I've moved to less and less impact exercises. Now I'm careful about sprinting at baseball and avoid too much contact at karate. Any little thing, even a jammed finger takes weeks to heal at 41. I've got two on one hand that have been semi-sore for about 8 weeks.

Interesting comments on developers. I'll look at doing a few in that area.

• I can't believe that with gas prices, fitness levels, global warming, and the economy as such major problems in the US, that it took 5 pages of posts to find someone that stays fit by riding their bike to work.

Think about it. Let's say you're like me, and it would take you 20 minutes to drive to work. It takes me 35 minutes to ride. Yes, that's an extra 30 minutes a day I add to my commute, but I also get 70 minutes of exercise, don't have to pay for gas, and my maintenance costs are a tiny fraction on my bicycle compared to my car.

We don't have a shower here, so I wear different clothes to ride than for work, then change back at the end of the day. I do a quick sponge bath in the bathroom so I'm not too stinky.

If you don't think you have the fitness to ride round trip in a day, drive to work with your bike in the back, then ride your bike home. Ride your bike back in the following day and drive home. Repeat.

If you don't want to bring your clothes in a backpack each day, drive in on Monday with a couple of days of clothes, and the ride home that evening.

I have a couple of co-workers I've convinced to try it out, and now they're hooked too. You end up being so happy at your desk, because you've gotten a little exercise on the way to work, and haven't been stuck in your little aluminum coffin.

Rick Todd

• does shuffling down the hallway to the coffee pot count?

Winter - snowboarding

Summer - wakeboarding & jetskiing with my brother

Fall/Spring - Frisbee golf (cause I can take my dog)

for a total of at least 100-200 days a year of activity....(usually on the higher side)

been working too much the last 6 months though.... need about a week off..... isn't winter coming? :w00t:

• I rock climb 1-2 days/week (indoors mostly, with a couple trips outdoors each year), play baseball 1-3 days/week during the summer (I'm a catcher, so each game is a great leg workout), snowboard a few times/month during the winter, and train with (and instruct) kettlebells 3-6 days/week. And, yes, I also do DBA work. 🙂

If you've never heard of kettlebells, do a little research and find an instructor (for at least an intro-course). I guarantee it'll be more than worth your effort. Here's where I recommend you find your instructors: http://www.dragondoor.com/rkc/

I've been active my entire life, and I've been involved in weight-training for about the past 12 years. In the past 8 months of doing only kettlebell training (no other weight lifting or cardio), I've become stronger than I've ever been (without gaining size -- yes, you read that right), improved my flexibility and cardiovascular endurance to at least the same levels that they were during my collegiate wrestling career, and improved my body composition... And I've spent less time training than I have in the past (20-35 minutes/day instead of 45-60 minutes/day). As I recommended above... Check it out. It'll be worth your effort. 🙂

• Someguy (8/8/2008)

skjoldtc (8/8/2008)

You forgot the archers.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Steve Jones - Editor (8/8/2008)

I'd have thought that Gail and Grant would just sit a bow in the corner of their cube and eliminate all complaints in person. Hard to get out of range in a cube farm :w00t:

I contemplated it the week the auditors invaded. That or the katana. Don't know which would have made the greater impact on them.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Weight training in the morning before I go to work, running for 30 minutes after work followed by more weight training, usually 5 days a week... and lots of walking. Instead of taking the bus, or driving to the store, go for a walk. Many people are constantly in a hurry when they don't need to be. I'm only in a hurry at work, when deadlines are close or several things require my attention at once.

It also helps that I have no TV, no video games, and refuse to use my computer outside of work. Diet is also important. All it requires is a level of mental control that we as IT professionals should have no trouble achieving.

• GilaMonster (8/8/2008)

Steve Jones - Editor (8/8/2008)

I contemplated it the week the auditors invaded. That or the katana. Don't know which would have made the greater impact on them.

Weapons laws in Rhode Island preclude having the rack in my cube that I would if allowed. Law enforcement on the East Coast of the US is also unnecessarily jumpy about weapons.

Still, to be able to fondle the hilt while someone asks me, yet again, "Did the database restore miss a couple of rows?" Hmmmm... It's a dream.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• GilaMonster (8/8/2008)

Someguy (8/8/2008)

skjoldtc (8/8/2008)

You forgot the archers.

And competiton shooters! =)

I try to go to the gym 3-4 days a week. BUt also have found that it is the every day thing that can really add up. Unless I am carrying something heavy/bulky, I allways take the stairs in a building, I part further away from where I am going in the parking lot (an extra 2 minutes of walking a day, not much, but over a year adds up).

I also take a break every hour and walk around in the office a bit.

I do shooting and riding my motorcycle to relax/vent.

• Until this week, I did absolutely nothing. Then I got talked into preparing for a Marathon, so I started jogging each morning.

Several people have mentioned martial arts, which is something I am interested in doing probably with my son when I have the time and money to do it. The question is, what is a good age to start introducing children to it and how do you find good instructors?

---
    Timothy A Wiseman
    SQL Blog: http://timothyawiseman.wordpress.com/

• Well I'm not sure the bike commute would be much help here. Also not sure the wife would put up with the bike tracks in the hall 😉

However Rick has a great point. I've always needed a shower, a little sweaty when I get going, but for a couple years I used to pack up my Isuzu Trooper with 5 sets of clothes every Monday and my bike, and drive to work. Then I'd ride home Mon night, back Tues, home Tues, etc., until Friday when I, and my set of stinky clothes would drive home. Worked out well, got lots of exercise, had my car at work for lunch/emergencies, and got in good shape. You could drive home every other day as Rick suggested if it works we well.

• Tim,

I tried with one kid at 5, didn't work well, but we tried it.

The other I asked every once in awhile from 5 until he finally got interested last year at 8. I have a great instructor for kids, runs lots of kids classes as young as 3-4. Some kids do well, some don't.

I'd recommend you go out nearby, probably find 5 or 6 places, and just watch or even take a class or two and see what you think. Be up front, tell them you're looking, and get a feel for the intensity, the class size, instructor, etc. Maybe have your kid go on some as well.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 121 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply