The 2019 Techie Gifts

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item The 2019 Techie Gifts

• My brother bought an alexa for my parents last year.. they spend more time talking to alexa than they do to each other.

I'm looking at the google home mini - at £20 if it's not good then I've not lost much.

But since Christmas is coming up, all I want as a tech gift is to find a stored proc that doesn't nest 5 layers deep with the bottom layer having a cursor that uses another cursor and a function purely because someone put a trigger on a table that calls another proc.

please santa????

MVDBA

• If you're worried about Alexa listening to everything, I can say that it (she?) doesn't listen when I ask to switch the bloody cellar lights on so I'd be surprised if it's listening to anything else.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    —Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• Neil Burton wrote:

If you're worried about Alexa listening to everything, I can say that it (she?) doesn't listen when I ask to switch the bloody cellar lights on so I'd be surprised if it's listening to anything else.

I've got nothing interesting to say that alexa would be interested in.

besides - cortana is my friend "hey cortana, which one sucks more, android or apple"

MVDBA

• Steve, as I read your recent posts I'm listening to The Beatles on (non-wireless) Sennheiser HD6XX open-back headphones from Drop (formerly Massdrop). If you want some high-end gear, I strongly encourage you to check them out (obviously assuming you are not already aware).

Trying to figure out the world of SQL as marketing consultant for SQL Solutions Group https://sqlsolutionsgroup.com/

• I got myself some smart door sensors because next year I'm getting a large AC unit and I am very serious about not running it when some door or window is open. It's not on a black friday / cyber monday deal but on friday I also ordered a Roomba i7+ because it's on sale and it's hackable so you can have it controlled by your own environment without cloud access.

• DinoRS wrote:

I got myself some smart door sensors because next year I'm getting a large AC unit and I am very serious about not running it when some door or window is open. It's not on a black friday / cyber monday deal but on friday I also ordered a Roomba i7+ because it's on sale and it's hackable so you can have it controlled by your own environment without cloud access.

I had a Roomba, the cats loved it - I HATED IT - the principle is cool, but it kept clogging up and it really only worked on hard surfaces -  it was my 3rd worst purchase  behind a windows phone and my copy of C++.net

MVDBA

• I'm fortunate to only have hard surfaces and with the empty bin included in the i7+ I hope to be able to avoid such issues. However I wouldn't use the same robot for wet cleaning because cleaning those who have to do both must be a real nightmare.

And I actually wish I never had to let go off my Windows Phones, no one cared about making malware or hacking you and it still had WhatsApp. Ofcourse there is no Twitter, InstaInyourfaceTime and whatever not but HERE Maps yet is to be topped by either Google or Apple Maps.

• watsap expires over Christmas. I've swapped to web apps for most things.

MVDBA

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply