Testing Service Pack 3

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Testing Service Pack 3

• Well said, Steve. If I apply a patch of any kind to a critical system and it brings it down, my boss isn't going to want to hear me talk about how I think if MS did more testing, this wouldn't have happened. He'll ask me why I didn't test our system before applying the patch.

• Steve Jones - Editor (11/5/2008)

Comments posted to this topic are about the item

Hello Steve,

Do you recommend waiting for SP3 for SQL 2005 or applying the cumulative update package now? The cumulative update hotfix download page advises against installing the cumulative update package if you're not seeing any of the errors listed. (Which so far, it seems, we are not.)

I'd like to wait for SP3 if possible, but I'm not sure if remaining at the SP2 level has been best practice.

Just wondering what you think.

Thanks,

webrunner

-------------------
    A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and asks, "Can I join you?"
    Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html

• If you're having issues, then you might need to apply the SP. If not, I'd hold off. Typically when I've called MS in the past, they want the latest SP on the system to give you support. I haven't called since the CU process started, so I'm not sure, but you can always apply them later if required.

I'd hold off, mainly because the CUs are tested as well.

• Steve Jones - Editor (11/6/2008)

If you're having issues, then you might need to apply the SP. If not, I'd hold off. Typically when I've called MS in the past, they want the latest SP on the system to give you support. I haven't called since the CU process started, so I'm not sure, but you can always apply them later if required.

I'd hold off, mainly because the CUs are tested as well.

Great, thanks for your help!

webrunner

-------------------
    A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and asks, "Can I join you?"
    Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html

• Every company has a name and a theme. You know, Burger King has its famous name and then says "Have it your way". Microsoft's current theme is “Where do you want to go today?”

Personally, I've always thought Microsoft's theme should be "The world is our QA Department!"

Do you think they'll hire me in marketing?

• Yes we should test Microsoft's code. I don't get that option with OS updates. They are crammed down the throat of my machines every week.

I have machines that I can checkpoint (Ghost, XXclone, whatever) and apply changes to. I do that with our own code. We do full suite testing. I can apply the service pack and retest all of our stuff. Rollbacks are fairly simple.

Who was it that said, "Your data is your business"? We are the shepherds of that data. Not test your tools?

ATBCharles Kincaid

• Hi. I am a test manager for sql server and can offer up some insight into how we test service pack 3 before you see it. First I can assure you that we run nearly the same battery of tests for a Service Pack as if it were a major release (like SS2005 or SS2008 when they were released.) This is a very comprehensive operation, requiring months. In some cases with Service Pack 3, we have actually raised the bar a bit thanks to lessons we learned while building SQL Server 2008 (and of course Moore’s law giving us more CPU time to hammer the system.)

SQL has an incredible asset in its testing IP, hardware and engineers who pour their passions into ferreting out every last defect. This is a massively automated and thorough operation and most defects are found here. Next, Microsoft also has a number of internal database applications that rival many of our customer’s largest deployments in size. We are a big company with lots of internal data, after all, and we have an IT department that is on board with internal “dogfooding” as we call it. When we run these internal applications on our CTP’s we are really vetting the product in a live enterprise environment long before customers see it. Lastly, SQL enters into agreements with some customers that wish to deploy on our pre-release bits in order to give us feedback. We go to some length to get a diverse set of customers into this program so that we, in turn, get a wide spectrum of feedback and experiences.

In summary, with SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 3 you get the following:

• A very stable base to build on: SQL Server 2005 SP2
    • A rigorously tested set of Cumulative Updates rolled up and applied
    • A small set of fixes outside of the Cumulative Update program that customers are asking for
    • A very comprehensive testing program that runs at enterprise scale and treats SP3 as if it were a major release
    • A program for both in-house and on-site testing on mission critical production database applications before we release it

IMHO, the key to a stable service release is to reduce the amount of change (read: lines of code modified) while still preserving the value of the release to the customer. If we do too much, we risk destabilization. If we do too little why would you use it? In the case of SQL Server 2005 SP3 we are producing a very constrained release that will give you tremendous value, yet it still respects the sanctity and value of your data by introducing only careful, highly scrutinized code changes.

Steve is completely right that you should always test new deployments, and carefully roll them out. We build general purpose system software that you apply to very specific purposes. SQL is complex, your applications are complex and your data and time is too precious to not approach this with an air of caution. My purpose with this post was to make sure that you understand that SQL puts a lot into each and every release to make sure that your careful deployments are that “non-event.”

• Roger,

Thanks for the update. Good to see the SQL team is watching and responding to the community.

• Steve, I see the the GA date for Service Pack 3 is currently 2/15/2009 per the Microsoft Support Lifecycle page.

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=2855

• It does appear that it is slipping. I think with the holidays and PASS, that there hasn't been as much testing in the beta as they would like.

Still, I think they have made some effort to get this done by 12/31, even if they miss it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply