Testing a Migration from IaaS to MI, and the Log Replay Service

• A bit of background - we are migrating from an Availability Group on IaaS, to a Managed Instance.

The databases involved will total about 7Tb. The system is 24/7 and is a core system.

The Log Replay Service (LRS) that will copy the backups from blob storage to the MI will complete when we decide to 'cut-over' from the 'source' system to MI. The final step of this is to take a tail-log backup from the source system, restore that on the MI and then switch to the MI.

My question is - I don't see why we can't set the source database back to read/write (because the tail-log backup will have changed the database state) and then let it process as normal. This will mean that we will have two seperate systems, allowing us to test the MI, while the original system plods along. I realise that this means we'll have to go through the restore process all over again (using LRS) once we're happy, but it gives us the chance to check our infrastructure is correct. Is this line of thought correct? We have people who think we won't have an opportunity to test the final MI setup, with a working database, before going live. That gives me the horrors, to be honest.

Thanks for your time.

• Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply