Test Your Situation

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Test Your Situation

• You have hit the nail on the head Steve.

There are so many new features available that are easy to implement but understanding how they actually work, what they do and the capabilities they offer is what takes time and I think in busy environments Admins don't have the time to read up and get to grips with these features.

If the software vendors provided a helping hand, it would make life so much easier for everyone.

• I was told that any idiot could install clustering by using google and this was 5 minutes before someone unplugged network cable to the san and corrupted all the luns.

TDE was suggested and I dont find any overhead worth worrying about on the databases that I have used it on, but it costs too much as its an enterprise feature. Instead they are now thinking of mysql (with even less security).

Ho hum

• Good reminders for follow-through when we implement new features, thanks.

• Yes, it isn't enough to just implement some feature. You need to understand it, how to recover it and what you will do in a disaster... and practice a disaster test as well.

• I always find that the great value of sites such as SQLServerCentral is that they provide the means to learn about these techniques. I often find that the first two words I type into Google are "how to". Whether it is how to use a software feature or to replace a screen on a laptop, the www is your friend.

• Yet Another DBA (1/7/2015)

I was told that any idiot could install clustering by using google and this was 5 minutes before someone unplugged network cable to the san and corrupted all the luns.

TDE was suggested and I dont find any overhead worth worrying about on the databases that I have used it on, but it costs too much as its an enterprise feature. Instead they are now thinking of mysql (with even less security).

Wow. I would be seriously considering some resume polishing. Sounds like you've got some real wieners there.

I'm going to be doing TDE on my new project which contains FERPA data, and guaranteed I'll be working out recovery methodologies. I maintain a high level of paranoia regarding my databases and this project takes me well beyond some of my comfort zones, so that'll be fun. Fortunately it's feature- and usability-driven, not deadline-driven. I have management support and time to do my best to get it right.

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• With you on those suggestions Steve.

I do think there is lots of info out there, I can't imagine how MS could make it easier to aid the planning and testing or recovery/backup, but I am sure it can be.

As to the lack of planning around recovery: You know what I put it down to ? Those that aren't planning are either too lazy, just think it will not happen to them or feel that Time constraints prohibit further testing. They clearly have not had their "Oh Sh!t moment" .

Thanks Steve.

• ShineBoy (1/7/2015)

... As to the lack of planning around recovery: You know what I put it down to ? Those that aren't planning are either too lazy, just think it will not happen to them or feel that Time constraints prohibit further testing. They clearly have not had their "Oh Sh!t moment" .

Oh, but it's coming! 😉

Let's see, in the past I've: wiped out the payroll production database (I had a car accident on the way in to work and really shouldn't've been there), locked myself out of several database servers, and recently had a trigger that I don't remember executing lock me out of my databases. And since I'm the only one doing SQL development, it's nobody's fault but mine.

Fortunately, in all cases, I've been able to recover quickly, and in many of them, no one else knew about my FUBAR. Every time I improved my code and procedures to prevent me from doing them again.

EVERYONE, sooner or later, will have an 'Oh, sh!t!' moment.

I remember the first time a teacher told me of such a moment that she'd done. She was supposed to delete a customer from a master file. Apparently the delete command had a range, something like X,Y, and if you left off Y, it continued deleting until it hit EOF. She was in tears. Her manager was understanding, apparently this had happened before, and she kept her job.

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• At one company in a staff meeting it was said, "We don't prevent the user from shooting themselves in the foot. Rather we sell them a LASER sight." I was dense enough to ask who cleans up the blood. There was dead silence but they were all looking at me. Then I heard the whisper: "And that's why we sell support contracts."

And since I'm the only one doing SQL development ...

I know how that feels. I got into teaching out of self defense. It's pretty easy to have "Oh Shit" moments to turn into "Oh Shit" days.

Back to the original topic there seems to be an underlying Microsoft philosophy. They provide stable features but don't complete the whole picture for you. This leaves room for third party developers to come in with products an services to close the loop.

ATBCharles Kincaid

• Charles Kincaid (1/7/2015)

...underlying Microsoft philosophy. They provide stable features but don't complete the whole picture for you. This leaves room for third party developers to come in with products an services to close the loop.

Not just Microsoft, however, I would like to point out by not providing the whole solution that the do leave room for innovation from elsewhere. Intentionally or otherwise. I think otherwise.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply