Test Server: Physical Machine or Virtual Machine

• Hello All,

I know this is a broad post but....

I am in a shop of 150+- users. We have been using SSIS/SSRS for approx 2 years, so we are relatively new.

I would like to have a dedicated test server set up for our data/BI group. This server would need to run SQL Server,Visual Studio (SSIS,SSRS,SSAS), Visual Cron, MS Office, and our in house CIS as these are what we are mainly running. My Network Admin has asked for specs for the machine and wonders if we should go Virtual or Physical.

Can anyone provide me with insight on whether to go Virtual or Physical?

Also, what other technologies are people using for BI/Reporting/Analysis? We are looking to add something like Tableau or PowerBI.

• Thinking a VM should work fine for a test server assuming that vm is equipped enough RAM and cpus to run all the applications going on it. Of course, by going virtual, you may save on licensing and hardware costs. The only downside is your production environment, if physical, would not exactly match your test one.

• We have been using virtual SQL Servers for testing for some time and even have one (smallish) live database on a VM. We've had no problems. We are getting to the point where we may consider VMs for other production systems when it comes time to replace our other SQL Servers.

We've been looking at Tableau, but no current plans for implementation.

• VM +1

• if you are going the VM route, search the web for best practices for the VM vendor for SQL, for instance: http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/solutions/VMware-SQL-Server-vSphere6-Performance.pdf

• A VM should be sufficient for the test machine. That way you are not restricted by future growth

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply