Temporary Tables performance issue

• Yes, but still the locking issue which is very weird and cant find the reason for it.

Regards

Nader

• nadersam (10/5/2010)

Yes, but still the locking issue which is very weird and cant find the reason for it.

Regards

Nader

its time to set profiler trace

-------Bhuvnesh----------
    I work only to learn Sql Server...though my company pays me for getting their stuff done;-)

• Already done that, and i see the following lock when i try to open tempdb properties

also i checked the Activity Monitor tool and i see the following wait

Wait Type:LCK_M_S

Resource :Key : 2:458752

Thanks

Nader

• nadersam (10/5/2010)

Already done that, and i see the following lock when i try to open tempdb properties

also i checked the Activity Monitor tool and i see the following wait

Wait Type:LCK_M_S

Resource :Key : 2:458752

Thanks

Nader

Did you check where the exactly locking is happening ?

In a profiler trace

Under the errors and warning eventclass select blocker process report

And Locks : Locks timeout > 0

and another try i think you should first keep data from information_schema.columns to table variable and then use in further query

I work only to learn Sql Server...though my company pays me for getting their stuff done;-)

• i tried blocked process report unfortunately it didnt capture anything in profiler even after changing blocked process report in sp_configure to 1000.

i added the lock timeout event though

and it showed the following

Lock Timeout 1:348

Lock Timeout :(0000c5e73325)

which is not very user fiendly 🙂

Thanks

• Bhuvnesh (10/5/2010)

nadersam (10/5/2010)[hr

and another try i think you should first keep data from information_schema.columns to table variable and then use in further query

Did you try this ?

• Still didnt try that but i will for sure as it will minimize access to system table.

Just was wonderring why is that happening, do u think reason for this lock is the use of temporary table or use of system table?

Regards

Nader

• I've tried recreating your problem on my laptop but with not much success. The only thing I can think is that maybe the table Audit_Trail_Transaction is locked.

A couple of questions

1) What isolation level are you using?

2) How many rows do you have in Audit_Trail_Transaction, and what indexes are on the table?

For my testing I was doing

begin tran

insert into table_with_trigger

I then issued use the following sql to see what locks had been taken out.

select * from sys.dm_tran_locks

If you run the following on a second connection then it will lock.

select * from [Audit_Trail_Transaction]

• Hi David,

I am really sorry for my late reply but i was traveling away with limited internet access.

I attached the full scripts for recreating the scenario.

Pls note that there is a line wait for delay in SP so i can check what's going with regards to locking.

Just run the insert sql below from mangment studio and then try to go to tempdb and view properties , u should get lock request timed out.

insert into Accounting_Period (name,date_from,date_to,performed_by,performed_in,performed_at) values ('name1','2010-10-08','2010-10-09','by','in','1-1-2010')

Thanks appreciating you replies

Nader

• Nader ,

I will still stick to avoid the syscolumns/sysobjects/sysindexes kind if sys tables in your logic , they will force for unnecessary locking in TempDb.

• syscolumns,sysindexes etc. is not in my logic but i was afraid they get blocked by creation of temporary tables which will kill performance.

Anyways i am thinking of changing logic totally, i wanted to pass the inserted record in trigger as a table variable to stored procedure but unfortunately it seems not supported in SQL 2005 :crying:

Any ideas?

I thought about table valued functions but this will include an additional select to base table.

Thanks guys

Nader

• nadersam (10/7/2010)

i wanted to pass the inserted record in trigger as a table variable to stored procedure but unfortunately it seems not supported in SQL 2005 :crying:

Any ideas?

Post the code.

• I added all code needed before, all i want to do now is instead of creating a temporary table and fill it with inserted record, just pass the inserted record as a table ariable to the stored procedure.

Pls note that the passed table variable needs to be generic as this will be used accross all tables in database also i am using SQL 2005

Thanks

Nader

Audit Trail table

CREATE TABLE [Audit_Trail_Transaction](

[ID] [bigint] IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL,

[Table_Name] [varchar](128) NOT NULL,

[Record_ID] [bigint] NOT NULL,

[Field_Name] [varchar](128) NOT NULL,

[Operation] [char](1) NOT NULL,

[Performed_By] [varchar](400) NOT NULL,

[Performed_In] [varchar](200) NOT NULL,

[Performed_At] [datetime] NOT NULL,

[Old_Value] [varchar](5000) NULL,

[New_Value] [varchar](5000) NULL,

CONSTRAINT [PK_Adt_Trl_Trnsctn] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED

(

[ID] ASC

)WITH (PAD_INDEX = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS = ON) ON [PRIMARY]

) ON [PRIMARY]

Stored Procedure

Create PROCEDURE [SP_Audit_Trail_Transaction_Insert] (@Table_Name VARCHAR(128)) AS

DECLARE @Field_Position AS INT;

DECLARE @Field_Name AS VARCHAR(128);

DECLARE @Field_Type AS VARCHAR(128);

DECLARE @Conversion AS VARCHAR(128);

SELECT @Field_Position = 0;

WHILE ( @Field_Position < (SELECT MAX(ORDINAL_POSITION) FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS with (nolock) WHERE TABLE_NAME = @Table_Name) )

BEGIN

SELECT @Field_Position = MIN(ORDINAL_POSITION) FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS with (nolock) WHERE TABLE_NAME = @Table_Name AND ORDINAL_POSITION > @Field_Position;

SELECT @Field_Name = COLUMN_NAME, @Field_Type = DATA_TYPE FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS with (nolock) WHERE TABLE_NAME = @Table_Name AND ORDINAL_POSITION = @Field_Position;

IF ( @Field_Name NOT IN (N'ID', N'Performed_By', N'Performed_In', N'Performed_At') )

BEGIN

waitfor delay '00:01'

IF ( @Field_Type IN (N'DATETIME') )

SET @Conversion = ', 121';

ELSE

SET @Conversion = '';

EXEC (N'INSERT INTO [Audit_Trail_Transaction] ([Table_Name], [Record_ID], [Field_Name], [Operation], [Performed_By], [Performed_In], [Performed_At], [Old_Value], [New_Value])

SELECT

''' + @Table_Name + ''',

i.[ID],

''' + @Field_Name + ''',

''I'',

i.[Performed_By],

i.[Performed_In],

i.[Performed_At],

NULL,

CONVERT(VARCHAR(5000), i.[' + @Field_Name + ']' + @Conversion + ')

FROM

#ins with (nolock) i;');

--WAITFOR DELAY '00:01'

END

END

Base Table

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

GO

CREATE TABLE [Accounting_Period](

[ID] [int] IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL,

[Name] [varchar](100) NOT NULL,

[Date_From] [datetime] NOT NULL,

[Date_To] [datetime] NOT NULL,

[Performed_At] [datetime] NOT NULL,

CONSTRAINT [PK_Accntng_Prd] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED

(

[ID] ASC

)WITH (PAD_INDEX = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS = ON) ON [PRIMARY],

CONSTRAINT [UN_Accntng_Prd_Dt_Frm] UNIQUE NONCLUSTERED

(

[Date_From] ASC

)WITH (PAD_INDEX = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS = ON) ON [PRIMARY],

CONSTRAINT [UN_Accntng_Prd_Dt_T] UNIQUE NONCLUSTERED

(

[Date_To] ASC

CONSTRAINT [UN_Accntng_Prd_Nm] UNIQUE NONCLUSTERED

(

[Name] ASC

)WITH (PAD_INDEX = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS = ON) ON [PRIMARY]

) ON [PRIMARY]

GO

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

GO

CREATE TRIGGER [TR_Audit_Trail_Insert_Accounting_Period] ON [Accounting_Period] FOR INSERT AS

SET NOCOUNT ON;

CREATE TABLE #ins(

[ID] [int] ,

[Name] [varchar](100) NOT NULL,

[Date_From] [datetime] NOT NULL,

[Date_To] [datetime] NOT NULL,

[Performed_At] [datetime] NOT NULL)

insert INTO #ins select * FROM INSERTED with (nolock);

EXEC SP_Audit_Trail_Transaction_Insert 'Accounting_Period';

GO

• nadersam (10/6/2010)

Hi David,

I am really sorry for my late reply but i was traveling away with limited internet access.

I attached the full scripts for recreating the scenario.

Pls note that there is a line wait for delay in SP so i can check what's going with regards to locking.

Just run the insert sql below from mangment studio and then try to go to tempdb and view properties , u should get lock request timed out.

insert into Accounting_Period (name,date_from,date_to,performed_by,performed_in,performed_at) values ('name1','2010-10-08','2010-10-09','by','in','1-1-2010')

Thanks appreciating you replies

Nader

Table-Valued Parameter is not supported in SQL Server 2005.

Please refer: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb510489.aspx

Thanks

• can u pls tell me whats wrong in this syntax, i am trying to use table valued functions instead

Thanks

Create function [GetTableData] (@TableName varchar(50),@RowID integer)

returns table

AS

Declare @MySQL varchar(100);

Set @Mysql= 'select * from ' + @TableName + ' where id = ' + @RowID

exec (@Mysql)

return

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply