Temporarily Disabling Replication

• Hey just a quickie,

I replicate to Server C from the same tables on Servers A and B. A and B are now merging so I want to stop the replication briefly whilst I transfer the data from A to B, delete the data from A, then turn Repl back on and it NOT try and rollout the Inserts and Deletes from this process.

Would I be right or wrong in backing it all up, turning off the log readers, disabling the the distribution jobs - rolling out the transfer and delete - then backing up the databases and logs again and turning it all back on?

Surely this would do the trick?

I just want reassurance! thanks.

• which replication mode are you using for Server C?

Alex S
  • IMHO you would be very surprised 🙂

I assume you have transactional replication based on what you wrote. If you stop the log reader agent, transactions will wait in the log file to be replicated, this is for your safety 🙂 If you want to avoid the data modifications on Server C and you make sure you're the only one who changes the data then you can drop the subscription of Server C and re-create it as a no-sync subscription (the subscriber already has the schema and the data). At least I would do this.

With your solution when you start the logreader again on Server B, all the changes would replicate to Server C.

• Cheers! I sorted it on the day, and dropped and re-added the subscription as you rightly said.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply