TempDB Sudden growth in ldf file

• Hi Experts,

Need your help for handling the unexpected error, Called

"The transaction log for database 'tempdb' is full due to 'ACTIVE_TRANSACTION'."

and  i am not able to work on SQL Server , unless i have to Re-Start the Services or Server.

Once i have restarted the Server/Services My tempDB Log file is 1 MB in Size, what i am missing and what Proper action i have take to handle this issue.

Thank you in advance

Mohamad Feroz Patel

Patel Mohamad

• Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• You can use XE to capture filegrowths

https://www.brentozar.com/archive/2015/12/tracking-tempdb-growth-using-extended-events/

• The issue with the log file on tempdb will be either a very big transaction using a temp table, or an uncommitted transaction that is using tempdb, which is causing the log to not be able to truncate.

one of the tricks that i use is

USE TEMPDB

dbcc opentran()

this will give you the spid of the oldest transaction in tempdb

you'll get something like

Transaction information for database 'tempdb'.

Oldest active transaction:

SPID (server process ID): 1249

UID (user ID) : -1

Name          : sort_init

LSN           : (27574:91949:77)

Start time    : Mar 16 2020 10:14:48:203AM

SID           : 0x62cca564ddf02749b9c5c7ebff1b9de6

DBCC execution completed. If DBCC printed error messages, contact your system administrator.

Completion time: 2020-03-16T10:16:18.4361790+00:00

then you can trace that back using sp_who2 and use the Kill command (rather than reboot the server)

also look at the Name field - in the example above it is a sort in tempdb... but google those and you will understand it quite well.

what i would really strongly recommend is that you monitor the space used in your t-log file and alert you at 80% full and then you can gather the info on the spid before it become critical.

Hope this helps

MVDBA

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply