Tempdb IO Errors

• hi All,

I need your urgent help and some great ideas to further investigate the issue that I am facing with one of my newly build SQL server 2008 R2 EE.

My app users are reporting slowness which is obvious because I see lot of IO errors at SQL server error logs.

2014-03-27 08:26:04.890 spid5s SQL Server has encountered 1264 occurrence(s) of I/O requests taking longer than 15 seconds to complete on file [S:\MSSQL\Data\tempdb2.ndf] in database [tempdb] (2). The OS file handle is 0x0000000000000158. The offset of the latest long I/O is: 0x000000

2014-03-27 08:26:04.890 spid5s SQL Server has encountered 1265 occurrence(s) of I/O requests taking longer than 15 seconds to complete on file [S:\MSSQL\Data\tempdb8.ndf] in database [tempdb] (2). The OS file handle is 0x0000000000000A44. The offset of the latest long I/O is: 0x000000

Initially, i thought that its a problem because of SAN so I moved the tempdb to a local drive but still I have the same issue.

Please share your thoughts so that I can take my troubleshooting in that direction.

many thanks in advance.

• I've only ever received that error once and it was entirely to do with the disk controllers on the server.

Have you checked the windows os logs to see if any other pertinent errors (eg SAS or SCSI controller related) are being logged?

Follow me on twitter @EvoDBACheck out my blog Natural Selection DBA[/url]

• Pl. refer following blog which might help you:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1554747-2799-1.aspx

---------------------------------------------------
    "Thare are only 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

• You've restarted the server, which rebuilds tempdb, and you're still seeing this? I strongly suspect hardware issues then.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Yep - I did the restart and infact i moved the tempdb to local drive. Still I see the issue. I am really out of ideas.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply