Tempdb drive is slow in Azure SQLVM

• Hi,

We have migrated from Onprem to Azure SQLVM. I've configured SQL server as per Microsoft guidelines for tempdb and other SQL VM settings as mentioned in below link.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-sql/virtual-machines/windows/performance-guidelines-best-practices-checklist

When our ETL processes are running, there were disk latency errors for tempdb drive (default D:\). I thought, D drive being local SSD is supposed to be faster of all the drives.

Can any one help, is there a setting/configuration I missed that is causing latency. If not in D drive, is there a better way setup tempdb to reduce latency.

SQL Server has encountered 14 occurrence(s) of I/O requests taking longer than 15 seconds to complete on file [D:\tempDb\data\temp1.mdf] in database id 2. The OS file handle is 0x0000000000000CD4. The offset of the latest long I/O is: 0x000001f3a00000

A time-out occurred while waiting for buffer latch -- type 3, bp 00000201ADE3D500, page 7:1027176, stat 0x10b, database id: 2, allocation unit Id: 6488064, task 0x000001FF89B2C108 : 2, waittime 300 seconds, flags 0x19, owning task 0x000001FEA07ED088. Not continuing to wait.

BobMgr::GetBuf: Sort Big Output Buffer write not complete after 300 seconds.

• This topic was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by  cooldude001.
  • If it's on the D-drive of the azure vm and 15 seconds timeout reached, I would open a case with Azure support !

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply