Tempdb Behavior in Managed Instances

• Dear colleagues,

I understood that the tempdb size will depend on multiple factors, such as the service tier, the number of vcores and much of it is directly controlled by Microsoft.

However, something that is very strange to me, is that when the instance is restarted not always come back with the same configuration for the tempdb Sizes. For example, in the last restart, I can see that the tempdb is of 3.5 gigas but in another moment this was 60 gigas.

am I  doing something bad, is someone else doing this changes for me, or is possible that Microsoft is doing this?

Thank you for your ideas.

• That is normal, as tempdb will always have the same startup size per file on a given setup and will grow as needed.

I don't think we can configure its size at this moment.

On-prem we manage this by setting the startup size to a value that fits our "regular" need so it doesn't have to grow at runtime and we can alert on growth events to have a look when the consumption is larger

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• Tempdb is recreated with each re-start of SQL Server. You can prove this by stopping SQL, deleting the tempdb files, and restarting the instance. The files will be created, and at the same sizes that they initially created.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Hi Friends,

Thanks for your answers,

A question may be simple for  you:

Can I play with different sizes for my Tempdb files while not trespassing the limits? Do I have to request this from Microsoft?

I have no Lab to check this point. But my Tempdb is very large, and I want to use more disk space for my databases.

Thank you very much

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply