Temp

• Can temp database get big in express SQL2008, if yes, what I need to do to fix it and why temp gets bigger?

• One easy way is to change the recovery model as Simple;

• temp db is already in simple

• My temp db size 5474.63 mb and available is 5472.82 MB, how can I make it smaller

• How is it posible anyway, I though you can have only 4G in sql express

• SQL Server 2008 Express has had the maximum size of the databases increased from 4 GB to 10 GB.

Start by looking at all your queries. Realize that tempdb is used by queries with ORDER BY's, GROUP BY's, aggregates, requires sorting for join processing, and probably a wealth of other intermediate activities that may transpire during query processing.

• And hash tables for join operations and table spools and lazy spools and index rebuilds and...

You get the picture. Tempdb is a major source of operational space in the server, even in Express. You need to know what's going on in order to appropriately size it and avoid putting stress on it.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• I know there is R2 package came out for express,but I don't have that I have 4G express2008 and I can't understand, how come my tem db is over 5G and it is still operational,can some one please!!!! help me to understand.Thank you

• Here is my take on it, tempdb is a system database and may be excluded from the 4 GB (or 10 GB) database limit. My best suggestion, contact Microsoft for a definitive answer.

• Lynn Pettis (5/5/2010)

SQL Server 2008 Express has had the maximum size of the databases increased from 4 GB to 10 GB.

Has it? The Microsoft download site for SQL Express still says the limit is 4Gb...do you have a link to a site showing this increase?

[EDIT] Actually, ignore me--I've just found this is a change in SQL 2008 Express R2. Microsoft don't seem to draw much attention to this on their website, though!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply