Temp

• Krasavita

SSC-Insane

Can temp database get big in express SQL2008, if yes, what I need to do to fix it and why temp gets bigger?

• jack_bab-959705

Grasshopper

One easy way is to change the recovery model as Simple;

• Krasavita

SSC-Insane

temp db is already in simple

• Krasavita

SSC-Insane

My temp db size 5474.63 mb and available is 5472.82 MB, how can I make it smaller

• Krasavita

SSC-Insane

How is it posible anyway, I though you can have only 4G in sql express

• Lynn Pettis

SSC Guru

SQL Server 2008 Express has had the maximum size of the databases increased from 4 GB to 10 GB.

Start by looking at all your queries. Realize that tempdb is used by queries with ORDER BY's, GROUP BY's, aggregates, requires sorting for join processing, and probably a wealth of other intermediate activities that may transpire during query processing.

• Grant Fritchey

SSC Guru

And hash tables for join operations and table spools and lazy spools and index rebuilds and...

You get the picture. Tempdb is a major source of operational space in the server, even in Express. You need to know what's going on in order to appropriately size it and avoid putting stress on it.

----------------------------------------------------
    The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...
    Theodore Roosevelt

The Scary DBA
    Author of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd Edition
    Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Krasavita

SSC-Insane

I know there is R2 package came out for express,but I don't have that I have 4G express2008 and I can't understand, how come my tem db is over 5G and it is still operational,can some one please!!!! help me to understand.Thank you

• Lynn Pettis

SSC Guru

Here is my take on it, tempdb is a system database and may be excluded from the 4 GB (or 10 GB) database limit. My best suggestion, contact Microsoft for a definitive answer.

• paul.knibbs

SSCoach

Lynn Pettis (5/5/2010)

SQL Server 2008 Express has had the maximum size of the databases increased from 4 GB to 10 GB.

Has it? The Microsoft download site for SQL Express still says the limit is 4Gb...do you have a link to a site showing this increase?

[EDIT] Actually, ignore me--I've just found this is a change in SQL 2008 Express R2. Microsoft don't seem to draw much attention to this on their website, though!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply