TechEd - Day 1

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item TechEd - Day 1

• Is there any new technology introduces by microsoft?

• As of last year we are not actively upgrading any of our SQL 2000 to 2005 unless a application upgrade warrants it. No sense in spending big $$ and all of the time and energy to goto 2005 when 2008 is just about here. If MSFT keeps to their three year product cycle there will be alot of people skipping a release from now on. We had one new app come on board that required SQL 2005. After it was all installed and up and running come to find out they required the dbs to be at SQL 2000 compatiability... so in effect I cannot use any of the 2005 features. Go figure huh.

• Great report, thanks Steve. I think you're very right about Powershell. It's incorporated into Operations Manager 2007 and Team Foundation Server. I'm seeing more and more bits & pieces suggesting it's going to act as a glue to stick processes together between monitoring, developing, deploying and communicating all of the above. Sort of stinks to have to learn another language, but... evolution or extinction. I'm going for evolution.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• We had MSFT give a class in Power Shell. All of .Net, WMI and more is accessible which means you can do everything in PS. Scripting in PS will probably simplify the day to day grind for most DBAs but learning the "language" will be a bear if you aren't a C# wizard 🙁

I've played with it in SSMS 2K8 and really haven't found any added value to having in the interface.

MG

"There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies."
    Tony Hoare

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." Red Adair.

• I'm not sure what a new technology is anymore. SQL 2008 got to RC0 and it includes Powershell for SQL, which is new. I played with Hyper-V, and it's straigtforward, though the interface is a little funny to me.

• How do you talk you company to actually spending some money to send someone to a conference. I'm at my 3rd company in the last 8 years and none of them will send anyone to a conference.

• I worked for several start-ups and they wouldn't send anyone. Larger companies... I sell it to the boss by pointing out sessions on things that we're working on or having troubles with, right now. I also promise to hold classes based on things learned at the conference. Finally, this one is a bit more... best word I can come up with is fluffy, but you can build relationships with other DBA's and then they become resources that you and, by extension, your company can take advantage of.

But you have to be working for a company that has a training budget in the first place. Otherwise, it's seriously an uphill climb.

Find the cheapest conference coming up in terms of travel expenses, hotel and conference registration and push that one. After you deliver the goods on one, then it's easier to do it again.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Grant's got it right. If the company doesn't have a good training plan, you can pretty much forget it. And it used to be that you could write-off certain expenses on your taxes that weren't reimbursed by your employer, but I believe those are gone. If you're self-employed, then you can probably work out a way to write-off the trip.

If the company doesn't have a training budget, lobby hard for it. Lobby for $3000 per developer per year, that'll cover going to one major conference (if you're in the US or in a country that has major conferences) and maybe one minor one. Stress learning about advanced technologies, developing a more diversified skill set, cross-training other developers who don't get to go (as Grant mentioned), etc.

We're back to the problem of C levels sometimes viewing IT as an expense, and increases to that expense are not popular, so you have to work on turning that viewpoint around that a better trained/more skilled IT dept benefits the company across the entire enterprise.

I've attended TechEd in Orlando and New Orleans in '98 & '99, we had three network admins (me one of 'em) and our policy was that two per year could attend. I wasn't going to New Orleans but my boss got sick and I was thrown in at the very last minute.

I'd like to get to PASS some day as I think that would be more beneficial to me as a whole, but I'd take anything over what they're trying to get away with. Trust me -- trying to coordinate training through a community college does not work well. :w00t:

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• One other point, submit abstracts to speak at the conference. If you get accepted, they usually wave the fee to attend. As far as PASS goes, volunteer and work your tucas off (I'm serious about that one) and you can get comped, but believe me, you'll earn it.

Two best ways I know to attend for free. Now the boss just has to pay air fare, food & hotel. That makes it easier.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• There are also the free SQL boot camp weekends occasionally done in Florida and California (and sprouting up in other places), again your boss would be out transport, meals, and hotel, but those can be pretty good. Celko spoke at one of the first ones in Florida, it got some pretty rave reviews.

Go to http://www.endtoendtraining.com and sign up for their newsletter for info on future weekend events.

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• RC0 doesn't support clustering.

I've been looking at spatial geography and trying to understand the new indexes which are really odd. I'm not sure why the new geography and geometry types are CLR types rather than built in engine types.

It seems that there is a bare bones implementation in the CLR part and all the heavy weight functions are in an external DLL.

Data compression and backup compression look interesting. Backup compression definitely works, goodbye Litespeed.

If you use data compressions with snapshot isolation mode you can get data corruption issues.

• David.Poole (6/11/2008)

... I've been looking at spatial geography and trying to understand the new indexes which are really odd. I'm not sure why the new geography and geometry types are CLR types rather than built in engine types.

Where did you come across spatial being CLR types rather than built-in? I'd like to see that as spatial data types are very important for us.

Data compression and backup compression look interesting. Backup compression definitely works, goodbye Litespeed. ...

I thought it was established that the compression was only for enterprise edition, or was backup across the board and data only for enterprise?

-----

• If you look at the assemblies you will see the data type assembly that supports the geospatial data types.

The data types themselves are in the assembly and some of the bare bones functions such as STGeomFromText.

Functions such as STBuffer which inflates a shape by a given number of metres is in an external DLL. I suspect it is due to the complex maths being better suited to non .Net DLLs.

I can't comment on the version of SQL2008 with compression as I am only interested in Enterprise and Developer editions.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply