TDS sniffer

• Years ago I had a sniffer package that showed me all the trafic between my PC and the SQL Server but I don't think it exists any more. Since my DBA won't allow us to use the profiler because of the requirement to be in the admin group, I would love to find such a product again. Anyone know of one?

• Are you needing to view remotely all traffic to and from the server or just to and from your machine. If to/from the server I would first make sure sniffing is allowed in your environment (in ours they will string you up if caught).

However, I would see if you could just create a few trace with outputs from xp_trace... (SQL 7) or sp_trace... (SQL 2K) and get him to run them. Make sure they direct to an output file and then you can review the file later.

• Thanks for the reply, I only got back to this now.

No, I only want to sniff between my PC and server. I hate having to bug the DBA every time. This sniffer product I had was great but for the life of me I can't remember its name. It sniffed TDS, HTTP etc.

Or is there a way to allow developers to use SQL Profiler without needing elevated permissions?

• The only two I have used is NetMon (MS Product in Windows Server but I believe there is a way to get for workstation). And Etherpeek (I believe we still have a copy of the freeware version they used to offer) which is kinda pricey http://www.etherpeek.com

• That EtherPeek looks nice but is way too expensive for my needs. I found that the tool I had before was PacketVision by Packetware Inc, but they are a totally different company now and the product no longer exists...

Oh well, I'll keep looking...

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply