Talking baseball

• Prince Fielder looked good last night. I was surprised at the vitriol from the crowd toward Robinson Cano. Is it just him, or do they just really hate Yankees in KC?

Tim Mitchell, Microsoft Data Platform MVP
    Data Warehouse and ETL Consultant
    TimMitchell.net | @Tim_Mitchell | Tyleris.com
    ETL Best Practices

• Tim Mitchell (7/10/2012)

Prince Fielder looked good last night. I was surprised at the vitriol from the crowd toward Robinson Cano. Is it just him, or do they just really hate Yankees in KC?

Probably both. I saw the highlights, sucks not to hit one. One reason I have avoided the HR derby here for the old men.

• Tim Mitchell (7/10/2012)

I was surprised at the vitriol from the crowd toward Robinson Cano. Is it just him, or do they just really hate Yankees in KC?

Seems to be this, from mlb.com:

Cano might have won in the league ledger, but he was certainly not a hit with the KC faithful. More than any homer-induced "ooh" or "ahh," the loudest sounds of the evening had to be the barrage of boos the loyal Royals fans dished out to Cano, who had said he'd like to add a hometown boy to his homer-bound bunch, only to snub Butler, the Royals' lone All-Star representative.

So when Cano, the defending Derby champ, came to the plate to close out the first round, a chorus of "Bil-ly But-ler!" chants preceded him and a loud chorus of catcalls hounded him.

Peter MaloofServing Data

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (7/10/2012)

Tim Mitchell (7/10/2012)

Prince Fielder looked good last night. I was surprised at the vitriol from the crowd toward Robinson Cano. Is it just him, or do they just really hate Yankees in KC?

Probably both. I saw the highlights, sucks not to hit one. One reason I have avoided the HR derby here for the old men.

I flipped to the HR Derby just as Cano came to the plate. It seemed to me not so much "vitriol" as the sort of booing fans will give the very best players that aren't on their team. I'll never forget the "greeting" Candlestick Park gave Pete Rose at each plate appearance -- usually just before he'd lash a double to the corner. I hope Cano understands that the boos and catcalls were more a sign of grudging respect and resentment that he's not a Royal than one of hatred.

----

edit to add....

Posting crossed with Peter's insight about the Butler snub. That would explain a lot.

• Wow, NL 8, AL 0.

I've always been an AL fan, but the NL gets their due too. Seems like they go in cycles -- I remember when the NL won something like 11 straight, then the AL won 15 straight, or something like that.

Looking forward to the second half of the season!

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• Didn't see the All Star game, but surprised with Verlander's highlights (or lack of) and no offense. A few great catches by the NL, so congrats to them.

• john.arnott (7/6/2012)

Hey SQLDCH, By "radio men" dissin' the Melk Men, do you mean the Giants crew? I had the impression that Krukow and Kuiper kinda liked them.

In other news, tomorrow (7/7) would have been the 106th birthday of Satchel Paige. Jamite Moyer's got to stick around, or at least come back in, another ten or so years to match Paige's feat of throwing three shutout innings to start a game for the KC Athletics at age 59 (9/25/1965).

No, I meant the KNBR guys in the morning (Murph and Mac). It was just classic talk show radio, though. Kruk/Kuip/Miller/Fleming are All Stars IMHO.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sacramento SQL Server users group - http://sac.sqlpass.org
    Follow me on Twitter - @SQLDCH

Yeah, well...The Dude abides.
  • Being a Giants fan, I'm pretty excited to see the boys in orange and black do well. It helped to justify their place in the game even with the bloated fan voting system (Freddy Sanchez 4th in voting???!?!? He's on the disabled list and has been since the season began). Anyone on the east coast should take note: Matt Cain is a badass.

Sacramento SQL Server users group - http://sac.sqlpass.org
    Follow me on Twitter - @SQLDCH

Yeah, well...The Dude abides.
  • SQLDCH (7/11/2012)

Being a Giants fan, I'm pretty excited to see the boys in orange and black do well. It helped to justify their place in the game even with the bloated fan voting system (Freddy Sanchez 4th in voting???!?!? He's on the disabled list and has been since the season began). Anyone on the east coast should take note: Matt Cain is a badass.

It's funny how some guys stay under the radar of the more casual fans even as they rise to the top. One of my co-workers who's in the Boston area asked me after Cain's perfecto who this guy was. You'd think that having been a big part of the 2010 post-season and an all-star he would have at least recognized the name.

• john.arnott (7/11/2012)

SQLDCH (7/11/2012)

Being a Giants fan, I'm pretty excited to see the boys in orange and black do well. It helped to justify their place in the game even with the bloated fan voting system (Freddy Sanchez 4th in voting???!?!? He's on the disabled list and has been since the season began). Anyone on the east coast should take note: Matt Cain is a badass.

It's funny how some guys stay under the radar of the more casual fans even as they rise to the top. One of my co-workers who's in the Boston area asked me after Cain's perfecto who this guy was. You'd think that having been a big part of the 2010 post-season and an all-star he would have at least recognized the name.

That's one of the problems I have with the writers voting on MVP's and things like that. I'm sure that most of the writers on the east coast are asleep by the time games in Washington, California, and Arizona start. I'm not saying Cain is the MVP this season or anything, I just hate east-coast bias (looking at you ESPN).

• Gah!!!!!!!

Get well soon, Gardy. Rest up, and we'll see you next season.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

• Wow!!! Ichiro???

I am one happy Yankee fan this morning!

• Ray K (7/24/2012)

Wow!!! Ichiro???

Pretty amazing. I wondered if he would ever become a Yankee at some point.

Reds and Pirates are really taking off in the NL Central.....

• Ray K (7/24/2012)

Wow!!! Ichiro???

Hard to believe. I assumed that Ichiro would die a Mariner. I've always enjoyed watching him play, though I'll probably see less of him now since he's no longer with a Rangers division rival.

It's interesting that they start him batting 8th.

Tim Mitchell, Microsoft Data Platform MVP
    Data Warehouse and ETL Consultant
    TimMitchell.net | @Tim_Mitchell | Tyleris.com
    ETL Best Practices

• I wonder if NYY didn't want to shake things up too much or offend the SEA fans by making it seem like they got the best part of a deal.

Plus, it's not like you can move Jeter. Maybe he'll move to 2nd.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,021 through 1,035 (of 1,972 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply