Talking baseball

• Just curious, fellow baseball fans: what are your thoughts on Stephen Strasburg?

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• Looking good. I didn't see him, but like LeBron James, he has come in and started to show that he was worth the $$.

Now they need to get a few more players.

• He looks OK. Let's wait and see how he does in the longer term. I mean, did you see his last start? He gave up two hits and *five* walks. They should probably send him back down to work on his control. 😉

The trick, of course, will be staying healthy. He throws so, so hard that anything going a little wrong could be very serious for him quickly. You can't really tell if a guy's motion will lead to injury or not just by looking at him: Prior had the best mechanics is the history of college baseball (or some similar shovelfull of hyperbole), Clemens throws so hard his back is always going to be injured, and this Verlander kid is too tall and skinny to last. Whatever. But if you compare Strassburg's delivery with Aroldis Chapman, the Reds' 100mph Cuban acquisition from last year, it looks like Strassburg works harder to get the velocity. (Go find some video of Chapman, it looks like he's playing catch. He doesn't know where the ball is going, but after this laguid, smooth delivery it just explodes toward the plate. Really amazing to see how smooth he is.) You never can tell about young pitchers, so it's good to see the Nats hand him the ball instead of waiting around for him to "put in the time" in the minors to "earn the right" or "appreciate the bigs" or some other silliness.

Anyway, it's fun to see all these great young pitchers coming into the game. Baseball is a cyclical beast, and we might be entering a period of good starting pitching. I love variety in game play, so I'm excited to see more aces and less fat guy softball HR derby. I love seeing a little Matt Stairs in MLB (old, not very athletic, hits a bunch, usually some form of mustache) but I am not a fan of trying to slug through a season without a balanced squad. More pitching will equal more emphasis on smaller ball, which is good for the diversity of styles I like. In conclusion, Steven Strassburg is very good.

[font="Arial"]Are you lost daddy? I asked tenderly.
    Shut up he explained.
    [/font]
    - Ring Lardner

• Cris E (6/14/2010)

The trick, of course, will be staying healthy.

Too true! We had Mark Prior and Kerry Wood at one time here on the Cubs. Mark was the second coming of Nolan Ryan (I think he may be out of baseball) and last I heard, Kerry was toiling for the Indians - in relief type appearances. Can't pitch if your arm has fallen apart.

Edit - Typos (sounded like a hick!)

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• tosscrosby (6/14/2010)

Cris E (6/14/2010)

The trick, of course, will be staying healthy.

Too true! We had Mark Prior and Kerry Wood at one time here on the Cubs. Mark was the second coming of Nolan Ryan (I think he may be out of baseball) and last I hears, Ketty was toiling for the Indians - in relief type appearances. Can't pitch if your arm has fallen apart.

I keep thinking that Tim Lincecum is destined for a short career because of his delivery. I'll be surprised if he lasts for ten years.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

• Steve Jones - Editor (6/14/2010)

Looking good. I didn't see him, but like LeBron James, he has come in and started to show that he was worth the $$.

Now they need to get a few more players.

Now that they've drafted Bryce Harper, they may very well be on their way!

• Boy, this thread is way too quiet!

Good NY Times Magazine article about Mariano Rivera

• Give it a couple of days. The NBA free agent period and soccer, I believe, have drawn the attention away from baseball.

• Rocks in a thriller a few days ago. 15 innings. Managed to win, but not gaining much ground in the NL West.

• Steve Jones - Editor (7/8/2010)

Rocks in a thriller a few days ago. 15 innings. Managed to win, but not gaining much ground in the NL West.

Who would've thought that San Diego would be in first place halfway through the season?

Everyone who picked the Padres to win the NL West, raise your hand!

• And anyone who picked the Cubs to win 3 games in a row, raise your hand!!

• I certainly didn't. I was thinking a Dodgers/Rockies race. AZ/SD in last.

• tosscrosby (7/8/2010)

And anyone who picked the Cubs to win 3 games in a row, raise your hand!!

As an Oriole fan (said with bag over head), I can relate to this... '62 Mets - here we come!

Cindy

• Steve Jones - Editor (7/8/2010)

I certainly didn't. I was thinking a Dodgers/Rockies race. AZ/SD in last.

Wasn't sure about LA with the big McCourt divorce thing. I definitely thought Colorado would be up there.

I'll be in Colorado around Labor Day for my sister-in-law's wedding. I'm hoping to catch a Rockies game while I'm there!

• Let me know when you come out. Reds in town for a Mon afternoon game. Love to come down and shake hands for the game.

Big series with SD this weekend. If they sweep, we're tied for first. Not holding my breath

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 1,972 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply