Talking baseball

• Ray K (8/8/2016)

calvo (8/8/2016)

There you have it, folks. Ichiro is the man.[/url] For a guy who has very few, how legendary would it have been if his 3,000th would have been a homerun!

When I first saw the replay, I thought it was out of the park. With his speed, I think it was very appropriate that #3000 was a triple!

That was cool. I was tempted to try and get to one of the games this weekend, but couldn't make it.

• $1,100/mo for a 5 month season.

This article[/url] talks about the class action lawsuit brought against MLB concerning wages for minor league players. I've always thought they don't make enough, how does someone live on $1,500/mo travelling, staying in hotels, paying for food, all the while supporting their families back home. Not sure a minor-leaguer can hold a full time (part time?) job if they're gone for 1/2 the year on travel.

Do they deserve millions to play in single A? No, but they deserve a slightly larger piece of that $9 billion pie. MLB's concern that paying minor-league players more will make those small market teams cash strapped, pffft. Have the majors send a little cheddar to keep them afloat. The clubs have no problem selling tickets and merchandise in the minors and then banking HUGE when a player makes it to the bigs. Stop being so selfish and support your talent stream!

Solution[.b]: minors get a seasonal base salary of $40k for A, $45k for AA, and AAA/40 man roster gets $50k. Where do you find this extra money? My three step plan. 1: Become better recruiters, don't sign 1,500 players each draft. 2: Refine your scout's ability to identify talent. 3: Slap a salary cap on major league players of $15 million/yr. I could argue against this third one, free market/capitalist etc, but it's a start.

What do you guys think? Should minor league players be exempt from Federal wage minimums/laws?

______________________________________________________________________________________________
    Forum posting etiquette.[/url] Get your answers faster.

• Exempt, no. MLB and parent clubs should send more, though I don't know how much. Minor league teams aren't really designed for a family man, at least, I don't think so. If you choose to, that's tough.

1,100/mo, that's about 275/wk. < $7hr for 40 hours, if that's what they cover. I thought they got a per diem there, and they should. I really think contracts at all levels should have some min and max in there. I like free markets, but I don't want to see a Pujols make $30mm and a utility guy make $200k. I think there can be some better balance. Not a lot, but set some better rules.

I think the same thing with NFL practice players and the stars. I wish stars were scaled back slightly, maybe 10%, and a better deal all around for the whole team.

• I caught a little bit of the Little League World Series yesterday. I didn't realize that my home state of New York is represented this year! 🙂

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (8/16/2016)

Exempt, no. MLB and parent clubs should send more, though I don't know how much. Minor league teams aren't really designed for a family man, at least, I don't think so. If you choose to, that's tough.

My uncle was married (or he would not be my uncle) at the time he played AAA, he was just out of school in the late 1940's. I never talked about the money he made. He did manage to get the order of the wholly bat (or whatever it is called) for throwing a no hitter before his arm went.

• I coached youth baseball with a guy who pitched in the minors for 11 years (brief call up to the Blue Jays, pitched 3 innings in a game) and 2 years in Japan. He said he didn't make much in the U.S. but made a lot in Japan. The money he made in Japan is his retirement account.

• I'm heading down to Yankee Stadium this Saturday. Woo-hoo!

If anyone else here is going, let me know!

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

• i've worn my red sox gear to games in Kansas City, Baltimore, and Washington D.C.. Do you think I'd get roughed up in NY?

______________________________________________________________________________________________

• calvo (8/25/2016)

i've worn my red sox gear to games in Kansas City, Baltimore, and Washington D.C.. Do you think I'd get roughed up in NY?

Nah, you'd be fine. A few dirty looks and snide comments, maybe. 🙂

FWIW, I regularly wear my Yankees gear to Fenway! 😉

• Awwww yeah! I'm on the Tebow Train[/url]! I'll make the prediction that after he's done with instructional, fall, and winter leagues the Mets will call him up by the end of next season. You heard it here folks, Tim Tebow is the hottest player since Bryce Trout!

• Earlier we saw the Blue Jays outlast the Orioles in extra innings to take the AL wild card spot and Last night we saw the Giants crush the hopes and dreams of the Met's in a 9th inning bomb.

Now the real playoffs begin. Today we have Toronto @ Texas and tonight Boston @ Cleveland!

Friday showcases the NLDS with the Dodgers @ Nationals and the night game is the Giants @ Cubs.

oooooooo man! Any last thoughts before these series begin to play out?

• calvo (10/6/2016)

Any last thoughts before these series begin to play out?

I'm rooting for anyone except Boston! 😛 😀

• Ray K (10/6/2016)

calvo (10/6/2016)

Any last thoughts before these series begin to play out?

I'm rooting for anyone except Boston! 😛 😀

Good. You a Cubs fan now. Go Cubs!

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

• Cubs - Indians. A battle of close quarters is what I want

Viewing 15 posts - 1,726 through 1,740 (of 1,972 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply