Taking Advantage of SQL Server Tools

• Never the least why to leave Batch file programming and little bit of vb scripting, I feel all dba's must have used batch file programming and vb script in some or the other way in automating things.

• should also add bcp.exe to the list.

---------------------------------------
    elsasoft.org

• Where once one used batch and vbscript I think now one should be using Powershell - certainly if one were defining "essential" tools one would have to strongly argue that the latter should replace the former.

The fact that MS are pretty "betting the house" on Powershell for system admin (e.g. the Exchange 2007 server manager generates Powershell scripts in much the same way the SSMS generates SQL scripts) pretty much underlines this - since being an SQL Server DBA pretty much necessitates having a chunk of Windows System Admin skills too.

• I think another tool is the system views,tables and functions. The DMVs in 2005 and beyond can prove quite useful and can provide similar information to PerfMon.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• For a combined SQL developer and DBA there's one tool (outside of the package supplied with SQL Server itself) that does everything I have found I need and that is SQL Management Studio by EMS. The software is wicked. Compare and synchronise data structures between dbs, compare and synchronise data, import, export, manage indices, backups etc. etc.

It's worth every penny and I now rarely use SQL Server tools themselves. BIDS is a different matter of course - it's essential for SSIS and SSRS.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply