Tail Log Backups

• Revenant (1/13/2012)

SQLRNNR (1/13/2012)

Cliff Jones (1/13/2012)

The word 'Always' should have made me think twice, but alas I only thought once.

That is the key word that made me rethink.

+1

+1

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• JAZZ Master (1/13/2012)

Went with the standard, nothing is "always" until proven otherwise.

I could smell the trick from miles, but I clicked on "Yes" to prove myself I'm just a paranoid. 😀

Well... I'm not!

-- Gianluca Sartori

• I had a 50/50 shot at it and missed 🙁

http://brittcluff.blogspot.com/

• Gianluca Sartori (1/13/2012)

JAZZ Master (1/13/2012)

Went with the standard, nothing is "always" until proven otherwise.

I could smell the trick from miles, but I clicked on "Yes" to prove myself I'm just a paranoid. 😀

Well... I'm not!

But it's not a trick question. A tail log backup is defined as a log backup that either has NoRecovery OR no_truncate specified. NoRecovery if the database is online, no_truncate if it's offline, suspect, etc.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • No, in fact it's not a trick question at all, when you know the answer. 🙂

Believe it or not, I never had to take a tail log backup in ten years that I'm working with SQL Server. I know what it is and I even tried to take one as a proof of concept from my laptop (it worked, BTW). It is quite understandable that I don't master this subject.

Fortunately, QoTDs give us the chance to learn those things that we never could practice, and this is one of those for me.

Not knowing the anser, the "trick" could have been in the wording. That "always" was a red flag, and I decided to ignore it...

-- Gianluca Sartori

• My lack of experience with offline databases led me to the conclusion that the NORECOVERY option was always needed in tail log backup. But I should have known there was a catch somewhere.

41% wrong answers tell me that a lot of people has never tried that so at least I feel relieved for not knowing this one. 😀

Best regards,

Best regards,

Andre Guerreiro Neto

Database Analyst
    http://www.softplan.com.br
    MCITPx1/MCTSx2/MCSE/MCSA

• Michael Lysons (1/13/2012)

I've enjoyed these questions this week. For me, they're the perfect sort, as they are (generally) fairly easy to research and therefore learn something from.

+1

More please, I have so much to learn !

Thanks!

• Ouch - never thought to consider offline (all our databases are of course always online :-D)

• Good question! Got me to review our procedures around emergency restores -- something we've never (yet!) had to do (thankfully!).

Rob Schripsema
    Propack, Inc.

• Nice question, learned something.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• didn't even hesitate. Nice and easy point

What you don't know won't hurt you but what you know will make you plan to know better

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply