Table processing questions

• All,

Sorry I'm new to Data Warehousing so probably silly questions. I did search online before posting but without success.

I'm using SSMS to process a large table. Can I see the progress of the process?

If I stop and restart the processing will it continue from where it stopped or start again?

I might split the table into partitions to process them separately but would like, if possible, to get an understanding of the above so as to know where to split it.

Thanks

• Ahoi,

the only way i know of to see the progress is in the "SQL Server Profiler".

• change the servertype to Analysis Service and chose the correct instance
    • In there you can see the state of active processings and atleast see the number of rows processed

Unbenannt

I dont think there is a way to start and stop it.

As you said the best way would be to create partitions. How you define the partitions should depend on how often you need to process it and how necessary it is to refresh historic data.

Edit:

the activity monitor allows you to see ressource intensive queries if you have many partitions/measures/dimensions which are quieried parralel, the query disappers from there once he starts indexing

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by  ktflash.
  • Thank you for your help.

• I split the table into partitions and some of them have processed. Thank you for your help. For some of the, larger, partitions I receive the following error:

"Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'OLE DB or ODBC error: [DataSource.Error] Microsoft SQL: Execution Timeout Expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding..

'."

It seems to error after it's fetched all the rows.

I did some research and, I think, I've set all the server instance timeout values to 0 (infinite?). I've attached the settings. Did I miss some  settings somewhere or misunderstand something? I could split the table into more partitions but I'd like to learn from the error if possible.

If any of the settings in the attachment seem like bad practice then any advice is welcome. This is a test instance I'm using to try and teach myself.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by  as_1234. Reason: The second file didn't attach initially
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply