Table Index

• Is "sp_helpindex" considered to be the definitive method in determining if a TABLE has ANY kind of an INDEX?

...thanks in advance

• I would just look in management studio.

• From the SQL Server documentation, Books Online:

sp_helpindex exposes only orderable index columns; therefore, it does not expose information about XML indexes or spatial indexes.

So the short answer is, no.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey (9/30/2010)

From the SQL Server documentation, Books Online:

sp_helpindex exposes only orderable index columns; therefore, it does not expose information about XML indexes or spatial indexes.

Will DBCC UPDATEUSAGE play here any role ? just a question 🙂

-------Bhuvnesh----------
    I work only to learn Sql Server...though my company pays me for getting their stuff done;-)

• Bhuvnesh (9/30/2010)

Grant Fritchey (9/30/2010)

From the SQL Server documentation, Books Online:

Will DBCC UPDATEUSAGE play here any role ? just a question 🙂

To whether or not sp_helpindex will show spatial indexes? Nope. Not at all.

DBCC UPDATEUSAGE is for updating page & row counts for the catalog views. I'm pretty sure it has no affect on which indexes are listed.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• OK, So sp_helpindex is not the only sql tool in determining ALL the indexes/keys a TABLE contains.

Would SSMS be your one-stop shopping or is there more than one SP or whatever, that together tells you what ALL the indexes/keys exists?

• You can do a select on sys.indexes to get all the indexes in your DB.

You can do a select on sys.spatial_indexes to get all the spacial indexes (which you'll most likely never use).

You can do a select on sys.xml_indexes to get all the xml indexes in your DB.

If you need to look at only one table you can join it with sys.tables.

• Oliiii (9/30/2010)

You can do a select on sys.spatial_indexes to get all the spacial indexes (which you'll most likely never use).

Never is a big word. Where I work is already making a huge investment in spatial data and we're using the indexes.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Oliiii (9/30/2010)

You can do a select on sys.indexes to get all the indexes in your DB.

You can do a select on sys.xml_indexes to get all the xml indexes in your DB.

If you need to look at only one table you can join it with sys.tables.

Thank you. I will try to come up with a sql statement for this.

• Correction, "sys.spatial_indexes" won't be part of my research since it doesn't exist in SQL2005. I only found it in SQL2008.

🙂

• FYI: I've found that using SYS.INDEXES and SYS.XML_INDEXES should work in my environment.

...thanks

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply