Table has data but chart based on same dataset returns no data

• Hi everyone

Sorry to bother you with what is probably a really easy solution but I've given up trying to work it out.

I have a dataset (dynamics crm 365 data so fetchxml, not sql) where I want to measure the Value column twice - once based on the record's status in January and once based on it's current status, across 12 categories.

I've created to calculated fields 'Opening' which is if Opening20 = Yes, use NetValue else 0, and 'Current', which is based on another iif and returns NetValue or 0.  They are my two Value columns.  Then I use a field Sector which is straight out of the crm dataset (there's a filter on the table and the chart to only show records that have a Sector).

I put all the data in a table first to make sure everything is tickety-boo, and my Opening, Current and Sector columns all return the correct data.  Then I create a chart (simple column chart) with the two value fields as my Values, and the sector field as my Category.

When I run the report (VisualStudio2015), no data.  Nada.  The legend is showing the two value fields and the 12 categories are showing along the y-axis, but no data.  The table is fine.  Exporting the table and running it through a pivot/chart is fine.  Strangely, if I change the filter on Sector to show those records that have no sector, or just remove the filter altogether, I do get the data for those records.

Hellpppp!  What am I doing wrong?  It's driving me crazy.  Please, for the love of God, small children and puppies, someone put me out of my misery.

Cheers

Jules

• If I were you, I'd never rely on values derived in the SSRS report.   I try to compute all the values I need in my query that feeds the dataset, and then I know I can do whatever I need in the report without having to rely on expressions that may or may not work the way I might want them to.  This is especially true when an expression occurs at a group level... things can be messy...

Steve (aka sgmunson) 🙂 🙂 🙂
    Rent Servers for Income (picks and shovels strategy)

• If it were running off a sql database I'd absolutely do that, unfortunately Microsoft, in their omnipotent wisdom, are forcing me to use fetchxml as it's a D365 in-the-cloud CRM.  Absolutely hate it but there you are.  I do have a sql version of the DB I can report off but it means this report would only be available to run through the report server and as it's will form part of a larger suite of management reports that can currently be run from within CRM, that would be rather untidy.  Just don't see why SSRS does it - it's not like it's an over-complicated report, I don't need dual axes, lines over columns, anything special, just 12 sets of dual financial columns.

• I hear you, but make your dataset provide those values...  and the problems go away.

• Update: worked it out.  Just noticed error on the report ref aggregate datatypes.  Changed the expression on the chart, adding CDec() around the values (sum(CDec(Opening.Value)) and it works a treat.

Hurrah

• Excellent!

• Thanks Steve I knew it would be something simple 🙂

Datasets in fetchxml are a right pain but if you know of any useful fetch training I'd be glad to hear of it.  I'm sure there's stuff I could do with knowing about, it can't be as basic and useless as it appears.

Cheers

Jules

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply