Table Access Order

• Nice question, thanks!

• It's been good getting some of these harder questions that require knowing how SQL works. Thanks for taking the time to put them together.

• I was expecting to see "undetermined, could be either" as an option so guessed (wrongly as usual).

Learned something new - not sure how useful it is to know, but these things are always interesting 🙂

• Got it wrong 🙁

Thanks for the question, eventhough I got it wrong I learned something. Great explanation!

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Use Full Links:
    KB Article from Microsoft on how to ask a question on a Forum

• Toreador (9/20/2011)

Learned something new - not sure how useful it is to know, but these things are always interesting 🙂

It depends. The average DBA can get by perfectly well with just a basic understanding of execution plans.

But who wants to be average?

• great question

• SQL Kiwi (9/20/2011)

Toreador (9/20/2011)

It depends. The average DBA can get by perfectly well with just a basic understanding of execution plans.

Who works hard enough to be exceptional?

Enough said :hehe:.

• Nice question and learnt something!

• Excellent question, thanks!

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• SQL Kiwi (9/20/2011)

I dream of being average, but have quite a way to go still to achieve it 🙂

• Great question, Paul. It is always a good thing to know what is going on under the hood.

Thanks,

Matt

• Thank you for such an amazing question, Paul.

I got it right because I always remember reading that the "top (outer) input" is read first and then it goes look for matches in the "bottom (inner) input". Even the Nest Loops operator works this way, right?

I just started reading the excellent Execution Plan book from Grant Fritchey.

It was a nice timing for me. 🙂

Best regards,

Best regards,

Andre Guerreiro Neto

Database Analyst
    http://www.softplan.com.br
    MCITPx1/MCTSx2/MCSE/MCSA

• codebyo (9/22/2011)

I got it right because I always remember reading that the "top (outer) input" is read first and then it goes look for matches in the "bottom (inner) input". Even the Nest Loops operator works this way, right?

Right. 🙂

http://sqlblog.com/blogs/paul_white/archive/2010/08/05/iterators-query-plans-and-why-they-run-backwards.aspx

• I have been following your blog for some time now but I hadn't found that article before. I have much to learn and I appreciate those links.

Can I print that article for my personal use and to show it to my workmates?

I'm trying to help them understand the basics of the execution plans and they get confused about the order of what's happening and why. I'm performing basic training about this subject to help them improve their queries which are very slow.

Today I was confronted with an old code that joined 20 tables and then had a cursor to manage that. We successfully replace that code and improved what was once running in almost 10 minutes to 50 seconds. It still isn't optimized enough but we'll soon get there.

Thank you for the amazing articles you post.

Best regards,

Best regards,

Andre Guerreiro Neto

Database Analyst
    http://www.softplan.com.br
    MCITPx1/MCTSx2/MCSE/MCSA

• codebyo (9/23/2011)

I have been following your blog for some time now but I hadn't found that article before. I have much to learn and I appreciate those links. Can I print that article for my personal use and to show it to my workmates?

Well thanks, I wondered who the other reader was 🙂

Of course you may print it and show it around, I only object when people copy my work and attempt to pass it off as their own (sadly this does happen).

Adam (Machanic) would no doubt want me to encourage you to share a link to SQLblog instead (traffic = advertising = pays the hosting bills) but I understand that is not always possible.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply