Tab Delimited Flat File From Excel - SSIS Merges Rows

• [We're actually on 2008 but am posting here]

A Tab Delimited Flat File saved from Excel that we've been importing for years,

recently the user has added some rows in the middle, and some of the rows are getting combined in the SSIS flat file connection manager and data flow import.

We have copied and pasted back and forth from notepad, looked at it with Unix text tools, retyped, examined every cell, and we cannot find whatever is breaking it. In the preview in the connection I can see two little squares at the point where the munging happens, but cannot find *anything* in the Excel file or the text file.

Anyone got any leads from hitting this sort of thing before?

many thanks!

Skål - jh

• The 2 little squares don't always signify a carriage return/line feed. They could be any non-printable character.

Your best bet is to open the file in a text editor that can convert the information to hex, such as Text Pad, so you can find out exactly what the squares are where your files go kaput.

• thanks, yeah had to comb through the text file line by line and tab by tab.

now just gotta get the text file to work when converted back an excel sheet for the data owner.

wow, that was fun, thanks for the tip, UltraEdit was a big help.

Skål - jh

• omhoge (11/18/2009)

wow, that was fun ...

I think I detect a hint of sarcasm 🙂

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply