(T-SQL) SQL 2000 Profiler Trace Result

• Hi There,

I ran a trace on SQL 2000 to identify long running queries.

I saved my results to a table in the master db "TraceResultsLongRunningQueries" there is 58000 rows in the table.

How can I see which queries took the longest time to execute?

Below is the create to script:

USE [master]

GO

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

GO

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[TraceResultsLongRunningQueries](

[RowNumber] [int] IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL,

[EventClass] [int] NULL,

[TextData] [ntext] NULL,

[NTUserName] [nvarchar](128) NULL,

[ClientProcessID] [int] NULL,

[ApplicationName] [nvarchar](128) NULL,

[LoginName] [nvarchar](128) NULL,

[SPID] [int] NULL,

[Duration] [bigint] NULL,

[StartTime] [datetime] NULL,

[Reads] [bigint] NULL,

[Writes] [bigint] NULL,

[CPU] [int] NULL,

PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED

(

[RowNumber] ASC

)WITH (PAD_INDEX = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS = ON) ON [PRIMARY]

) ON [PRIMARY] TEXTIMAGE_ON [PRIMARY]

GO

EXEC sys.sp_addextendedproperty @name=N'Build', @value=2039 , @level0type=N'SCHEMA',@level0name=N'dbo', @level1type=N'TABLE',@level1name=N'TraceResultsLongRunningQueries'

GO

EXEC sys.sp_addextendedproperty @name=N'MajorVer', @value=8 , @level0type=N'SCHEMA',@level0name=N'dbo', @level1type=N'TABLE',@level1name=N'TraceResultsLongRunningQueries'

GO

EXEC sys.sp_addextendedproperty @name=N'MinorVer', @value=0 , @level0type=N'SCHEMA',@level0name=N'dbo', @level1type=N'TABLE',@level1name=N'TraceResultsLongRunningQueries'

GO

Your assistance will be much Appreciated!

Thank you!

• Well, if anyone should ever need this...

Use a cursor to check the query run time...

DECLARE @SPID int

DECLARE c1 CURSOR READ_ONLY

FOR

SELECT SPID

FROM TraceResultsLongRunningQueries

OPEN c1

FETCH NEXT FROM c1

INTO @SPID

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0

BEGIN

SELECT [RowNumber],[EventClass],[TextData],[NTUserName],[ClientProcessID],[ApplicationName]

,[LoginName],[SPID],[Duration],[StartTime],[Reads],[Writes],[CPU]

FROM

[master].[dbo].[TraceResultsLongRunningQueries]

WHERE [SPID] = @SPID

FETCH NEXT FROM c1

INTO @SPID

END

CLOSE c1

DEALLOCATE c1

It takes a while to execute but it makes life much easier to see the long running queries.

• Unless I'm missing something here, there's no need to use a cursor. I think it's as simple as this:

SELECT * FROM TraceResultsLongRunningQueries

ORDER BY Duration DESC

John

• Thanks for the reply John.

I checked the duration, the problem is there is NULL & 0 values in the results and it is in microseconds format. That is why I used the cursor or am I missing something and should just ignore the NULL & 0 results? Let me see if I can convert the microseconds to seconds.

• Fox87 (1/19/2011)

am I missing something and should just ignore the NULL & 0 results?

I don't know whether you can ignore those results, since you haven't provided any sample data. But presumably if you have a 0 or a NULL, then it either executes so quickly it can be ignored, or it's from a batch start rather than a batch finish, or something else that you don't need to worry about. You can filter by EventClass so that you only include event types that are useful to you (or, better still, make sure that you only include those events when you make your trace).

You'll end up with something like this:

SELECT * FROM TraceResultsLongRunningQueries

WHERE EventClass IN (<List of events you want to include>)

AND Duration > 0

AND Duration IS NOT NULL

ORDER BY Duration DESC

John

• Hi John,

This below is the conversion from Milliseconds to Seconds.

Do you know what the conversion should look like for Microseconds to Seconds?

The research that I got from a Microsoft site says the Duration table is by default saved in Microseconds.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms175848%28v=SQL.110%29.aspx

Beginning with SQL Server 2005, the server reports the duration of an event in microseconds (one millionth, or 10-6, of a second) and the amount of CPU time used by the event in milliseconds (one thousandth, or 10-3, of a second). In SQL Server 2005 and later, the SQL Server Profiler graphical user interface displays the Duration column in milliseconds by default, but when a trace is saved to either a file or a database table, the Duration column value is written in microseconds.

I know this states from SQL 2005 but I am sure SQL 2000 should be the same?

SELECT [RowNumber],[EventClass],[TextData],[NTUserName],[ClientProcessID],[ApplicationName]

,[LoginName],[SPID],((Duration%(1000*60*60))%(1000*60))/1000 as Seconds,[StartTime],[Reads],[Writes],[CPU]

FROM

order by Seconds desc

Thanks for all your help!

• That looks very complicated. To convert milliseconds to seconds, just divide by 1000. To convert microseconds, divide by 1000000. I don't really understand why you need to do the conversion at all, though - you're interested in the longest running queries, and they are going to be the same whichever units you use.

John

• Thanks for you help John.

I finally got a query that the time is right (I know this because there was a wait for delay for 1 minute in the result and it matched up with the Minutes tab.

,[LoginName],[SPID],(Duration%(1000*60*60))/(1000*60)as Minutes,[StartTime],[Reads],[Writes],[CPU]

FROM

order by Minutes desc

• You are going about this the wrong way. What is MORE important (usually) than a single bad plan is how bad things are IN AGGREGATE. Which is more important to tune - something that runs for 5 minutes (that doesn't shut down the system anyway) but only runs ONE time a day or something that takes 1/2 second but gets called 10 times per second?? Aggregate trace analysis will reveal this and more.

Best is to replace parameters in the text with a placeholder (such as a question mark) and then roll things up. I have a quickie-simple way that avoids the need for that most of the time. here is an example:

SELECT top 100 substring(textdata, patindex('%exec %', textdata), 30) as textdata, avg(duration/1000.0) as avgdur, avg(reads) as avgreads,

sum(duration/1000.0) as sumdur, sum(reads) as sumreads, sum(cpu) as sumcpu,

min(starttime) as minstart, max(starttime) as maxstart, count(*) as cnt

FROM yourtracetable

WHeRE 1 = 1

--and textdata like '%nodeschedule%'

group by substring(textdata, patindex('%exec %', textdata), 30)

order by cnt desc

order by avgreads desc

order by sumreads desc

--order by avgdur desc

order by sumdur desc

You can easily change what you are looking for with the patindex/where clause, substring lengths, order by, throw in a HAVING clause, etc.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply