T-SQL Exams

• Hi there,

Does anyone know where I can find some free exams or tests for T-SQL or to test your query writing capabilities?

Our company is pretty big & we have identified a couple of permanent querywriters. I'm a DBA & we have problems with people who THINK they can write T-SQL, but I think you know how quick an inexperienced writer can bring a database to its knees... 😉

I need, however, to test their skills to see if they actually qualify to write queries. I have been searching everywhere for it, but hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!!

T.

• I think you're going to struggle as most tests of this nature are multiple choice (like the MCDBA ones)

the tests themselves show that you can write syntatically correct SQL such as "select * from mytable" and not functionally correct sql where the correct results are returned and minimum resources are used.

I personally beleive that it's a skill that you have to learn through experience and triall and error, so a development server for people learnig t-sql is essential (especially if they're using temp tables and cursors)

I've been in the same position before (several times - we write technical interviews for customers employing DBAs as part of our service) and my advice is to get together some typical business requirements and structure you're own set of requirements that will force the query writer to use joins, temp tables(maybe) , query hints such as NOLOCK ,group by,having,where and have them check for indexes

then sit them at a workstation and record the session so you can see which diretion they went to acheive the solution - you'd be surprised what you find and how well it seperates the wheat from the chaff

MVDBA

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply