T-SQL: EOMONTH

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item T-SQL: EOMONTH

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• I couldn't see any of the answers that matched what I believed I should be getting - then I played around a little.

Where dates are concerned it is probably helpful to specify the date format in use, as this site has people from all over - and they might not be using the same date format as yourself.

That aside, a nice question.

• Great question. Never even realized EOMONTH had an optional second parameter. Good to know.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Practical for use is that the second parameter may have also a negative value,

thanks for this seemingly simple question Nagaraj. 🙂

• Wish this was available in 2008.

• :hehe: Cool - a new tool to get rid of all of my 2005 code...

• BrainDonor (9/19/2016)

I couldn't see any of the answers that matched what I believed I should be getting - then I played around a little.

Where dates are concerned it is probably helpful to specify the date format in use, as this site has people from all over - and they might not be using the same date format as yourself.

With SQL Server, dates formatted as YYYY-XX-YY will always be YYYY-MM-DD,

YYYY-DD-MM is not a valid format with SQL Server.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• George Vobr (9/19/2016)

Practical for use is that the second parameter may have also a negative value,

thanks for this seemingly simple question Nagaraj. 🙂

Was going to post this. For example, one way to compensate for the still-absent BOMONTH():

SELECT DATEADD (DAY,1,EOMONTH (GETDATE,-1))

• Thanks - interesting question.

- webrunner

-------------------
    A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and asks, "Can I join you?"
    Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html

• Koen Verbeeck (9/19/2016)

Great question. Never even realized EOMONTH had an optional second parameter. Good to know.

+1

Thanks, Nagaraju!

• Alvin Ramard (9/19/2016)

BrainDonor (9/19/2016)

I couldn't see any of the answers that matched what I believed I should be getting - then I played around a little.

Date formatting isn't a strong point with me, so could you possibly explain this:

I only get a match within the answers listed if I swap the day and month.

I'm completely prepared to believe it is something stupid at this end.

• BrainDonor (9/19/2016)

Alvin Ramard (9/19/2016)

BrainDonor (9/19/2016)

Date formatting isn't a strong point with me, so could you possibly explain this:

I only get a match within the answers listed if I swap the day and month.

I'm completely prepared to believe it is something stupid at this end.

On my local SQL 2014 machine,

DECLARE @Date Datetime = '2012-02-01' -- Feb 1, 2012

SELECT EOMONTH(@Date, 2)

GO returns: 2012-04-30, i.e. End of month for 2 months after Feb 1, 2012

DECLARE @Date Datetime = '2012-01-02' -- Jan 2, 2012

SELECT EOMONTH(@Date, 2)

GO returns: 2012-03-31, i.e. End of month for 2 months after Jan 2, 2012

This is what I expected. It looks like your result #2 should go with query #1 and result #1 with query #2.

If you don't believe YYYY-XX-YY cannot be YYYY-DD-MM, try same queries for dates: 2012-01-13 and 2012-13-01. You'll see that the 2nd date is not a valid datetime.

Alvin Ramard

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• I've played a little more (this is a nice diversion from trying to understand reduction and distribution in QlikView) and it appears to depend upon the use of the hyphens.

The following screen-shot is a little cramped, so I could fit it all in:

1 and 6 are invalid on my instance. 6 I certainly expect but 1 still has me puzzled. Fortunately I always use either YYYYMMDD or 'DD MMM YYYY', so my brief bout of panic over so much of my past work has abated.

But I would still like to know why 1 and 2 behave the way they do.

• BrainDonor (9/19/2016)

I've played a little more (this is a nice diversion from trying to understand reduction and distribution in QlikView) and it appears to depend upon the use of the hyphens.

The following screen-shot is a little cramped, so I could fit it all in:

1 and 6 are invalid on my instance. 6 I certainly expect but 1 still has me puzzled. Fortunately I always use either YYYYMMDD or 'DD MMM YYYY', so my brief bout of panic over so much of my past work has abated.

But I would still like to know why 1 and 2 behave the way they do.

QlikView? Maybe it's causing all the problems?

Alvin Ramard

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply