T-SQL

• Thanks.

While working with this type of comma seperated string, first we need to split the string with the help of table valued function.

We can pass the comma deliminated string as an argument to the table valued function.

Also thanks for the insert statement provoded.

I never used this mode of insert statement. 🙂

Thanks.

Reji PR,
    Bangalore
    😀

• rejipr1982 (1/3/2011)

Thanks.

While working with this type of comma seperated string, first we need to split the string with the help of table valued function.

We can pass the comma deliminated string as an argument to the table valued function.

Also thanks for the insert statement provoded.

I never used this mode of insert statement. 🙂

It's good to know that you learn some thing new. 🙂

Thanks

• Hugo Kornelis (1/3/2011)

john.moreno (1/3/2011)

Hugo Kornelis (1/3/2011)

After reading your reply, I started to doubt, so I copied the script, pasted it in SSMS, changed it to work for SQL Server 2005

Which is a bit of a problem -- 5% of the respondents said zero, zero. I image that most if not all of them were thinking 2000/2005, where that would be the correct answer. I noticed the syntax, but picked the right answer because I remembered someone pointing out this as a new feature in 2008, if not for that I would have thought it was a trick question and picked zero, zero.

Though I agree that it would have been better to include the version in the question text, or to use a more backward compatible syntax, I don't thnik this should affect the result of the question much. It's 2011 already; the first CTP for SQL Server 2011 has been out for quite some time already - I think it's safe to assume version 2008 when nothing is mentioned explicitly.

Thanks Hugo for covering me. I assume SQL 2008 still its better to mention SQL Server version when we post any query, article or QofD. Next time I will take care 🙂

Thanks

• Im getting the error while running the query

Server: Msg 8101, Level 16, State 1, Line 7

An explicit value for the identity column in table '@student' can only be specified when a column list is used and IDENTITY_INSERT is ON.

• sathishmcc (1/4/2011)

Im getting the error while running the query

Server: Msg 8101, Level 16, State 1, Line 7

An explicit value for the identity column in table '@student' can only be specified when a column list is used and IDENTITY_INSERT is ON.

Interesting. Did you just copy/paste the code or did you change anything?

What version of SQL Server are you running?

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• SQL 2000

• sathishmcc (1/4/2011)

SQL 2000

It probably has something to do with the ancient version that you are using 🙂

However, I've set the compatability level to 80 on my test database and the query still worked with me. Maybe because I'm using a newer client tool?

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Thanks for your reply sir

• Hugo Kornelis (1/3/2011)

john.moreno (1/3/2011)

Hugo Kornelis (1/3/2011)

After reading your reply, I started to doubt, so I copied the script, pasted it in SSMS, changed it to work for SQL Server 2005

Which is a bit of a problem -- 5% of the respondents said zero, zero. I image that most if not all of them were thinking 2000/2005, where that would be the correct answer. I noticed the syntax, but picked the right answer because I remembered someone pointing out this as a new feature in 2008, if not for that I would have thought it was a trick question and picked zero, zero.

Though I agree that it would have been better to include the version in the question text, or to use a more backward compatible syntax, I don't thnik this should affect the result of the question much. It's 2011 already; the first CTP for SQL Server 2011 has been out for quite some time already - I think it's safe to assume version 2008 when nothing is mentioned explicitly.

And this gets into what I didn't like about this question - it was needlessly tied to a specific version of SQL. One simple change (replace the insert values (),(),() with separate insert statements) would have made this question applicable to versions back to SQL 2000. A second set of minor changes (replace the table variable with a temporary table; replace the nvarchar with varchar) would have made this question applicable to versions back to SQL 6.5 - if not even earlier. (And yes - I did just try this code on versions 6.5 and 2000!) It wouldn't have compromised the point that the question was making at all.

I think that it's upon the QotD authors to attempt to write their questions to apply to as many versions of sql as possible (obviously, when writing about features specific to one version, this wouldn't apply). This question should have been applicable as written to at least SQL 2000.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS (1/4/2011)

Hugo Kornelis (1/3/2011)

john.moreno (1/3/2011)

Hugo Kornelis (1/3/2011)

And this gets into what I didn't like about this question - it was needlessly tied to a specific version of SQL. One simple change (replace the insert values (),(),() with separate insert statements) would have made this question applicable to versions back to SQL 2000. A second set of minor changes (replace the table variable with a temporary table; replace the nvarchar with varchar) would have made this question applicable to versions back to SQL 6.5 - if not even earlier. (And yes - I did just try this code on versions 6.5 and 2000!) It wouldn't have compromised the point that the question was making at all.

I think that it's upon the QotD authors to attempt to write their questions to apply to as many versions of sql as possible (obviously, when writing about features specific to one version, this wouldn't apply). This question should have been applicable as written to at least SQL 2000.

Didn't Steve make a comment last year that we should assume SQL Server 2008 unless stated otherwise by the author? I though I remember reading that.

If you want questions to be backward compatible to 2000, why not earlier than that?

It would be nice, though, for authors to state on what version they ran their code.

• WayneS (1/4/2011)

I can't see any point in going back before SQL2005, as that's the oldest supported version. How many of us even have 2000 installed any more? I don't so couldn't test against it even if I wanted to 🙂

And no, I haven't submited a QotD yet either - but did write half of one before someone else got there first with a much better effort!

• Toreador (1/4/2011)

WayneS (1/4/2011)

I can't see any point in going back before SQL2005, as that's the oldest supported version. How many of us even have 2000 installed any more? I don't so couldn't test against it even if I wanted to 🙂

And no, I haven't submited a QotD yet either - but did write half of one before someone else got there first with a much better effort!

As a author, I also assume SQL 2008 because I read in one post from Steve that we should assume SQL 2008 if it is not mentioned. I used new syntax to insert the records for those who don't know the new syntax and they can have idea about that.

Still its better to mention the SQL Server version when you post the QofD/article, next time I will take care 🙂

Thanks

• To complicated. Yo can solve it using CHARINDEX:

DECLARE @inputValue NVARCHAR(20)

DECLARE @student TABLE

(Id INT PRIMARY KEY IDENTITY(1,1),

StudentName NVARCHAR(50),

StudentResult INT)

INSERT INTO @student

VALUES( 'Hardy', 100), ('Rocky', 98), ('Panky', 99)

--Select 1

SET @inputValue = 'Hardy'

SELECT * FROM @student WHERE StudentName IN (@inputValue)

--Select 2

SET @inputValue = 'Hardy,Rocky'

SELECT * FROM @student WHERE CHARINDEX(StudentName, @inputValue) > 0

Saluti

Alberto De Rossi
    Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate - SQL Server
    Microsoft MVP - Data Platform
    Power BI User Group Lima - Community Leader

• Alberto IT (1/5/2011)

To complicated. Yo can solve it using CHARINDEX:

As long as you don't mind incorrect results:

DECLARE @student TABLE

StudentResult INT)

INSERT INTO @student

VALUES( 'Hardy', 100), ('Rocky', 98), ('Panky', 99), ('Ardy', 99)

--Select 1

--Select 2

Ardy shouldn't be returned but it is.

• UMG Developer (1/5/2011)

Alberto IT (1/5/2011)

To complicated. Yo can solve it using CHARINDEX:

As long as you don't mind incorrect results:

DECLARE @student TABLE

StudentResult INT)

INSERT INTO @student

VALUES( 'Hardy', 100), ('Rocky', 98), ('Panky', 99), ('Ardy', 99)

--Select 1

--Select 2

Ardy shouldn't be returned but it is.

Good point! CHARINDEX should work only with short and controled set of data.

Alberto De Rossi
    Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate - SQL Server
    Microsoft MVP - Data Platform
    Power BI User Group Lima - Community Leader

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply