T-Script Error on resetting Counter

• Hello, When I run this T-SQL script that begins a dynamic way to create table partitions, I’m fine until the last step of resetting the Counter back to 0 and get that error. It seems syntactically fine and makes sense and is needed before it goes to the next block of codes, which all also have this same counter reset to 0. I’ve tried redeclaring, omitting it, mod the syntax, but nothing I do works and I always error. What can I try or rewrite with this design? Thanks

ERROR - Msg 137, Level 15, State 2, Line 27 Must declare the scalar variable "@Counter".

USE
    DATABASE_BI;
    GO
    -- sets declares on variables
    DECLARE @SQLScript VARCHAR(4096)
    DECLARE @MONTHS INT = 84
    DECLARE @Counter INT = 0
    DECLARE @Path VARCHAR(1024) = 'G:\'
    -- creates filegroups dynamically
    WHILE @Counter < @MONTHS
    BEGIN
           SET @SQLScript = 'ALTER DATABASE DATABASE_BI ADD FILEGROUP AA'
           + LTRIM(RTRIM(STR(YEAR(DATEADD(MONTH, @Counter, '2015-01-01')))))
           + RIGHT('0'+LTRIM(RTRIM(STR(MONTH(DATEADD(MONTH, @Counter, '2015-01-01'))))),2)
           + 'fg'
           PRINT @SQLScript
           EXEC (@SQLScript)
           SET @Counter = @Counter + 1
    END

SET @Counter = 0

ERROR - Msg 137, Level 15, State 2, Line 27 Must declare the scalar variable "@Counter".

• I can't recreate the error.  I created a database DATABASE_BI, ran the code & it was all fine.

• From the error you are getting it sounds like you have the text '@Counter' in your dynamic query text. But the code you have pasted in doesn't have a problem. You should check the placement of quotes in the code you are running to make sure @Code isn't appearing in @SQLScript.

• quinn.jay - Monday, July 30, 2018 9:11 AM

Hello, When I run this T-SQL script that begins a dynamic way to create table partitions, I’m fine until the last step of resetting the Counter back to 0 and get that error. It seems syntactically fine and makes sense and is needed before it goes to the next block of codes, which all also have this same counter reset to 0. I’ve tried redeclaring, omitting it, mod the syntax, but nothing I do works and I always error. What can I try or rewrite with this design? Thanks

USE
    DATABASE_BI;
    GO
    DECLARE @MONTHS INT = 84
    DECLARE @Counter INT = 0
    WHILE @Counter < @MONTHS
    BEGIN
           + 'fg'
           PRINT @SQLScript
           EXEC (@SQLScript)
    END

SET @Counter = 0

I've gotten past a number of issues, now at the last step, an error, I run the whole script at once ,and it gets to the lat step of creating the partition scheme, and errors with same/similar errors, not sure what to try next:

Msg 137, Level 15, State 1, Line 91
    Must declare the scalar variable "@SQLScript".
    Msg 137, Level 15, State 2, Line 93
    Must declare the scalar variable "@Counter".

The odd thing is the above error is when I isolated the block below to run, the first time when I ran the whole thing in one shot, I get an error something about a misplaced ')', I did not save the error sadly

--creates partition scheme
    SET @SQLScript = 'CREATE PARTITION SCHEME myDateRangePS1 AS PARTITION myDateRangePF1 TO ('

WHILE @Counter < @MONTHS
    BEGIN
        IF @Counter > 0
            SET @SQLScript = @SQLScript + ', '

SET @SQLScript = @SQLScript + 'sw'
                        --+ RIGHT('0'+LTRIM(RTRIM(STR(MONTH(DATEADD(MONTH, @Counter, '2015-01-01'))))),2)
                        --+ RIGHT('0'+LTRIM(RTRIM(STR(MONTH(DATEADD(MONTH, ' + @Counter + ', '2015-01-01'))))),2) -- placing the counter value inside
                        + RIGHT('0'+LTRIM(RTRIM(STR(MONTH(DATEADD(MONTH, + @Counter, + '2015-01-01'))))),2)
                        + 'fg'

END

SET @SQLScript = @SQLScript + ')'

PRINT @SQLScript

EXEC (@SQLScript)

• quinn.jay - Monday, July 30, 2018 12:16 PM

quinn.jay - Monday, July 30, 2018 9:11 AM

Hello, When I run this T-SQL script that begins a dynamic way to create table partitions, I’m fine until the last step of resetting the Counter back to 0 and get that error. It seems syntactically fine and makes sense and is needed before it goes to the next block of codes, which all also have this same counter reset to 0. I’ve tried redeclaring, omitting it, mod the syntax, but nothing I do works and I always error. What can I try or rewrite with this design? Thanks

USE
    DATABASE_BI;
    GO
    DECLARE @MONTHS INT = 84
    DECLARE @Counter INT = 0
    WHILE @Counter < @MONTHS
    BEGIN
           + 'fg'
           PRINT @SQLScript
           EXEC (@SQLScript)
    END

SET @Counter = 0

I've gotten past a number of issues, now at the last step, an error, I run the whole script at once ,and it gets to the lat step of creating the partition scheme, and errors with same/similar errors, not sure what to try next:

The odd thing is the above error is when I isolated the block below to run, the first time when I ran the whole thing in one shot, I get an error something about a misplaced ')', I did not save the error sadly

SET @SQLScript = 'CREATE PARTITION SCHEME myDateRangePS1 AS PARTITION myDateRangePF1 TO ('

WHILE @Counter < @MONTHS
    BEGIN
        IF @Counter > 0

--+ RIGHT('0'+LTRIM(RTRIM(STR(MONTH(DATEADD(MONTH, @Counter, '2015-01-01'))))),2)
                        --+ RIGHT('0'+LTRIM(RTRIM(STR(MONTH(DATEADD(MONTH, ' + @Counter + ', '2015-01-01'))))),2) -- placing the counter value inside
                        + RIGHT('0'+LTRIM(RTRIM(STR(MONTH(DATEADD(MONTH, + @Counter, + '2015-01-01'))))),2)
                        + 'fg'

END

PRINT @SQLScript

EXEC (@SQLScript)

Do you have a GO in your script after you have declared your variables but before you start using them? If so GO resets all the all the variables so there are none.
    You need to have the DECLARE @... in the same block where you use of the variables. If you try to run the part of the script without including the DECLARE's the script will fail with the errors you have.

• Jonathan AC Roberts - Monday, July 30, 2018 12:31 PM

quinn.jay - Monday, July 30, 2018 12:16 PM

USE
    DATABASE_BI;
    GO
    DECLARE @MONTHS INT = 84
    DECLARE @Counter INT = 0
    WHILE @Counter < @MONTHS
    BEGIN
           + 'fg'
           PRINT @SQLScript
           EXEC (@SQLScript)
    END

SET @Counter = 0

WHILE @Counter < @MONTHS
    BEGIN
        IF @Counter > 0

+ 'fg'

END

PRINT @SQLScript

EXEC (@SQLScript)

Do you have a GO in your script after you have declared your variables but before you start using them? If so GO resets all the all the variables so there are none.
    You need to have the DECLARE @... in the same block where you use of the variables. If you try to run the part of the script without including the DECLARE's the script will fail with the errors you have.

I do not have a GO after the variables are declared

• quinn.jay - Monday, July 30, 2018 12:33 PM

Jonathan AC Roberts - Monday, July 30, 2018 12:31 PM

USE
    DATABASE_BI;
    GO
    DECLARE @MONTHS INT = 84
    DECLARE @Counter INT = 0
    WHILE @Counter < @MONTHS
    BEGIN
           + 'fg'
           PRINT @SQLScript
           EXEC (@SQLScript)
    END

SET @Counter = 0

WHILE @Counter < @MONTHS
    BEGIN
        IF @Counter > 0

+ 'fg'

END

PRINT @SQLScript

EXEC (@SQLScript)

"The odd thing is the above error is when I isolated the block below to run,"
    The block you are running does not have the DECLAREs in.

• quinn.jay - Monday, July 30, 2018 12:33 PM

USE
    DATABASE_BI;
    GO
    DECLARE @MONTHS INT = 84
    DECLARE @Counter INT = 0
    WHILE @Counter < @MONTHS
    BEGIN
           + 'fg'
           PRINT @SQLScript
           EXEC (@SQLScript)
    END

SET @Counter = 0

WHILE @Counter < @MONTHS
    BEGIN
        IF @Counter > 0

+ 'fg'

END

PRINT @SQLScript

EXEC (@SQLScript)

This may help at this point, here is the code in it's entirety

-- sets database to perform
    USE DATABASE_BI;
    GO

DECLARE @MONTHS INT = 84
    DECLARE @Counter INT = 0

WHILE @Counter < @MONTHS
    BEGIN
        SET @SQLScript = 'ALTER DATABASE DATABASE_BI ADD FILEGROUP sw'
                        + 'fg'
        PRINT @SQLScript

EXEC (@SQLScript)

END

--SET @Counter = 0

-- creates file(s) to hold partitioned data
    WHILE @Counter < @MONTHS
    BEGIN
        SET @SQLScript = 'ALTER DATABASE DATABASE_BI ADD FILE( NAME = sw'
                        + 'dat, FILENAME = ''' + @Path + 'sw'
                        + 'dat.ndf'', SIZE = 10 MB, MAXSIZE = 250 MB, FILEGROWTH = 10 MB) TO FILEGROUP sw'
                        + 'fg'
        PRINT @SQLScript

EXEC (@SQLScript)

END

--SET @Counter = 0

-- creates the partition function
    SET @SQLScript = 'CREATE PARTITION FUNCTION myDateRangePF1 (datetime) AS RANGE RIGHT FOR VALUES ('

WHILE @Counter < @MONTHS - 1
    BEGIN
        IF @Counter > 0

SET @SQLScript = @SQLScript + ''''
                        + '01'''

END

PRINT @SQLScript

EXEC (@SQLScript)

--SET @Counter = 0

--creates partiton scheme

WHILE @Counter < @MONTHS
    BEGIN
        IF @Counter > 0

+ 'fg'

END

PRINT @SQLScript

EXEC (@SQLScript)

-- Create partitioned tables to on partition actvt_ym
    CREATE TABLE [dbo].[BI_Sub](
    [actvt_dt] [datetime] NULL,
    [actvt_ym] [int] null,
    ) ON myDateRangePS1 (actvt_dt)
    GO

• quinn.jay - Monday, July 30, 2018 12:48 PM

quinn.jay - Monday, July 30, 2018 12:33 PM

USE
    DATABASE_BI;
    GO
    DECLARE @MONTHS INT = 84
    DECLARE @Counter INT = 0
    WHILE @Counter < @MONTHS
    BEGIN
           + 'fg'
           PRINT @SQLScript
           EXEC (@SQLScript)
    END

SET @Counter = 0

WHILE @Counter < @MONTHS
    BEGIN
        IF @Counter > 0

+ 'fg'

END

PRINT @SQLScript

EXEC (@SQLScript)

This may help at this point, here is the code in it's entirety

-- sets database to perform
    USE DATABASE_BI;
    GO

DECLARE @MONTHS INT = 84
    DECLARE @Counter INT = 0

WHILE @Counter < @MONTHS
    BEGIN
        SET @SQLScript = 'ALTER DATABASE DATABASE_BI ADD FILEGROUP sw'
                        + 'fg'
        PRINT @SQLScript

EXEC (@SQLScript)

END

--SET @Counter = 0

-- creates file(s) to hold partitioned data
    WHILE @Counter < @MONTHS
    BEGIN
        SET @SQLScript = 'ALTER DATABASE DATABASE_BI ADD FILE( NAME = sw'
                        + 'dat, FILENAME = ''' + @Path + 'sw'
                        + 'dat.ndf'', SIZE = 10 MB, MAXSIZE = 250 MB, FILEGROWTH = 10 MB) TO FILEGROUP sw'
                        + 'fg'
        PRINT @SQLScript

EXEC (@SQLScript)

END

--SET @Counter = 0

-- creates the partition function
    SET @SQLScript = 'CREATE PARTITION FUNCTION myDateRangePF1 (datetime) AS RANGE RIGHT FOR VALUES ('

WHILE @Counter < @MONTHS - 1
    BEGIN
        IF @Counter > 0

SET @SQLScript = @SQLScript + ''''
                        + '01'''

END

PRINT @SQLScript

EXEC (@SQLScript)

--SET @Counter = 0

--creates partiton scheme

WHILE @Counter < @MONTHS
    BEGIN
        IF @Counter > 0

+ 'fg'

END

PRINT @SQLScript

EXEC (@SQLScript)

-- Create partitioned tables to on partition actvt_ym
    CREATE TABLE [dbo].[BI_Sub](
    [actvt_dt] [datetime] NULL,
    [actvt_ym] [int] null,
    ) ON myDateRangePS1 (actvt_dt)
    GO

Your script is trying to execute the line:
    CREATE PARTITION SCHEME myDateRangePS1 AS PARTITION myDateRangePF1 TO ()
    Which causes error: 
    Msg 102, Level 15, State 1, Line 4
    Incorrect syntax near ')'.

• Jonathan AC Roberts - Monday, July 30, 2018 12:59 PM

quinn.jay - Monday, July 30, 2018 12:48 PM

Your script is trying to execute the line:
    CREATE PARTITION SCHEME myDateRangePS1 AS PARTITION myDateRangePF1 TO ()
    Which causes error: 
    Msg 102, Level 15, State 1, Line 4
    Incorrect syntax near ')'.

Yes that's the error, and it is supposed to exec that line, except between the parenthesis , to run all the code from the While to the last Set statement

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply