T-Log Backup Problem

• [1] Database MBC: Transaction Log Backup...

Destination: [D:\Mssql7\Backup\MBC_tlog_200203141140.TRN]

[Microsoft SQL-DMO (ODBC SQLState: 42000)] Error 4213: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Cannot allow BACKUP LOG because file 'MBC_Data' has been subjected to nonlogged updates and cannot be rolled forward. Perform a full database, or differential database, backup.

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Backup or restore operation terminating abnormally.

What is causing this ?

(occurs about 3 times a week)

• BULK Insert, truncate table, BCP, anything that is not logged in the Transaction log see BOL for other possibilities. A flag is flip in the Transcation Log when an unlogged event occurrs to let the log know it has transactions it cannot account for (thus if you had to restore with the log you may end up with incosistancies). After you perform a full or differential backup you will have those changes accounted for.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• (By the way, this is a SQL Server 7.0 Database with Select Into/Bulk Copy enabled.)

So whenever there is a Bulk Insert, BCP....any non-logged transaction, a Log Backup will fail ???

The reason I am asking is beacause it is not failing all the time, just about 3 times a week.

• My experience is it should fail. But I haven't done log backups in a while since I have transactional replication and do differential backups each night (full on saturday). I will test here when I get a chance.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply