System Resource Exceeded

• Hi,

1. Creating Of Text DSN "CSV.DSN" with the following Properties

[ODBC]

DRIVER=Microsoft Text Driver (*.txt; *.csv)

UID=admin

UserCommitSync=Yes

Threads=3

SafeTransactions=0

PageTimeout=5

MaxScanRows=25

MaxBufferSize=2048

FIL=text

Extensions=txt

DriverId=27

DefaultDir=C: DBQ=C:

2. Creating of Schema for the Text files to be read with the Text Driver

3. Try to open a connection using the Text Driver then the error is logged "System Resource Exceeded"

[Microsoft][ODBC Text Driver] System resource exceeded.|Error Connecting to database. |[Microsoft][ODBC Text Driver] System resource exceeded.|-2147024882||.

The RAM is 2 GB and sql uses only 500 mb (configured dyanamica memory)

If SQL is restarted and the above operation is performed then it succeeds...after few such operation I get this porblem.

levi

Jesus My Saviour

• Going out on a limb, it sounds like a memory leak. This is the only operation going on? How is it tied to SQL Server?

K. Brian Kelley

http://www.truthsolutions.com/

Author: Start to Finish Guide to SQL Server Performance Monitoring

http://www.netimpress.com/shop/product.asp?ProductID=NI-SQL1

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• This DLL is executed from a stored procedure using sp_OAcreate method. Data is uploaded to the database from the textfiles using the txtdsn created (shown above)

levi

Jesus My Saviour

• This looks like the same message from http://www.sqlservercentral.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6710&FORUM_ID=65&CAT_ID=1&Topic_Title=System+Resource+Exceeded&Forum_Title=Performance+Tuning is this the same? And if not are you using a VB dll? If so can you post the code and the sp_OACreate line for how you tried to invoke it so I can test it here?

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

Edited by - antares686 on 09/11/2002 03:31:33 AM

• Yes Antare..this is a copy of the same message.

We made a similar dll for you but tried to repeat the problem once again at our site..This is what we have noticed

We added all the SQL counters in the performance monitor.

Tried to run our main dayopen and dayend process which include the above said dll call .We tried this about 30 times But could not repeat wherein on the production machine this repeats every 7 or 8th time. There is a gap of 13 hours between the dayopen and dayend activity on the production and there are other activities during this period. All these activites are based on our application stored procedure. we could not give this gap during out test here. Now its very clear that the resource is being exceeded during this gap. From the Performance monitor logs we noticed one counter constantly increasing and the counter is "Cache size" under SQL Server Buffer Manager. This never seems to come down. What exactly is this and can this be the problem once this reached its limit.

levi

Jesus My Saviour

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply