System DBs default location

• I'm having this problem:

We are still using SQL2005, and I noticed, that installing SQL2005 does not offer you the option to choose the location of your system DBs, as in SQL2008. Since we are installing SQL2005 on the C-disk, the system DBs are also installed there, which is not where we want them. Now, I can move te system DBs, but this is a nuisance, surely so for the master.

Is there any way to have the system DBs installed somewhere else than where SQL Server is installed?

Greetz,
    Hans Brouwer

• It's been a little while since I have installed 2005, so correct me if I am wrong. On the Components to Install step, click on the Advanced button. It is within this section that you can map the location of the user databases as well as the system databases.

Chris Powell

George: You're kidding.
    Elroy: Nope.
    George: Then lie to me and say you're kidding.

• I thought that you could specify the default db location in setup and all databases went there, including system ones.

• Tnx for answering all.

You are right: under advanced options you can change the destination of database files. It has been a while for me as well since last I installed SQL2005...:unsure:

Greetz,
    Hans Brouwer

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply