sysprotects fun...

• EvilPostIT (3/16/2009)

Success. See what you think of this.

(

(substring(sp.columns,((sc.colid)/8)+1,1) & power(2,(sc.colid-(8*((sc.colid-1)/8)))))>0 and sc.colid<8

OR

(substring(sp.columns,((sc.colid)/8)+1,1) & power(2,(sc.colid+1-(8*((sc.colid)/8))))/2)>0 and sc.colid>=8

)

Well since power(2, X+1)/2 is the same as power(2, X) then you don't need the two OR branches as they both do the same thing.

Further, since X-(8*(X/8)) is the same thing as X % 8 then you should be able to change this entire clause to:

(substring(sp.columns,((sc.colid-1)/8)+1,1) & power(2,((sc.colid-1) % 8) ) )>0

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• These OR branches are doing slightly different things and therefore i dont think i can do this using 1 statement.

This branch is bringing back the first byte from the columns field (as shown by the "sc.colid<8" ie bit 1: the "ALL" permission and bit 2-8: colid 1-7) and then just linking based upon the ordinal position -1, thus off-setting the ordinal position to make up for the fact the first bit is not the first column but actually the "ALL" permission.

(substring(sp.columns,((sc.colid)/8)+1,1) & power(2,(sc.colid-(8*((sc.colid-1)/8)))))>0 and sc.colid<8

Whereas this branch effectivly resets the number of the colid so that no offset is required and can be a true match for the rest of the bytes going forward. ("sc.colid>=8" ie bit 1-8: colid 1-8)

(substring(sp.columns,((sc.colid)/8)+1,1) & power(2,(sc.colid+1-(8*((sc.colid)/8))))/2)>0 and sc.colid>=8

Plus i am changing the colid column so that it is the ordinal position within each byte that has been cut out with the substring. (Always 1-8)

By doing it this way i get round the power arithmatic overflow issue.

Let me know what you think.

Nuke the site from orbit, its the only way to be sure... :w00t:

• Ah, OK. I did not know about the "All" thing.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply