syspolicy_purge_history login failures

• I have a test server that has 3 instances: default, a and b. It is a physical server and since it is test, it's not clustered. At 2 AM when the syspolicy_purge_history job runs, it appears the jobs on the default instance and a instance are trying to access the b instance with their SQL Server agent accounts. The jobs are showing as successfull but showing failed logins every night. I tried the second method in this link and it didn't solve the problem. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/955726 Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be causing this and how to fix it?

Edit: I just realized I put this in the 2005 forum. Can someone move this to the 2008 forum?

• That kb article is about clusters, not about instances on a single machine. Given the data about the cause of the issue, I'm not surprised it didn't resolve the issue.

The failed login attempts, what's the exact error message?

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• These were taken from the B instance.

Login failed for user 'TestServer\DefaultAgent'. Reason: Token-based server access validation failed with an infrastructure error. Check for previous errors. [CLIENT: <local machine>]

Error: 18456<c/> Severity: 14<c/> State: 11.

Login failed for user 'TestServer\AgentA'. Reason: Token-based server access validation failed with an infrastructure error. Check for previous errors. [CLIENT: <local machine>]

Error: 18456<c/> Severity: 14<c/> State: 11.

• Do you have policies that are being applied to those logins? Like "Apply Password Policy" or anything like that?

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• On the default instance, under policies, there is a SQL Server Password Policy. It has a check condition of Password Policy Enforced and the target is Every Login. Instance A and B do not have any policies.

• I'm having the exact same issue as this post but not a virtual server nor in a clsuter.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic984495-146-1.aspx

• Hello,

Did anything come of this as I have the exact same problem, I'd really like to know what you did to solve the problem, or whether you still have it and just live with it.

Regards,

D.

• It is still happening. Haven't been able to duplicate it on another system.

• I have it in both my production and UAT environments, cant fix it in either.

Regards,

D.

• Anyone ever get resolution on this error?

• I didnt, in the end we didnt go for a cluster, so it didnt matter in the end.

Regards,

D.

• That's what is frustrating. This is not a cluster nor a virtual server. Just multiple 2008 R2 instances running on a standalone server.

• Have you tried applying the new SQL 2008 R2 Service Pack, I think its still at the beta stage at the moment, but ready for download.

Regards,

D.

• I have not tried applying R2 Service Pack 2 yet. I am noticing that the login failures across the other instances are showing up just by calling the Get-Item powershell cmdlet, even without calling the "EraseSystemHealthPhantomRecords" method. Looks to be some type of issue with Powershell implementation in SQL Server 2008 R2.

• I have a similar problem, and found the answer on Microsoft Connect.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply