sysdepends table doesn''t populate

• Can somebody tell me the different reasons why sysdepends table doesn't get populated when we compile a SP.

One obvious reason is that dependent objects are not present at the time of parsing.

what are the other possible reasons?

I found a stored procedure recently which has reference to about 10 tables 1 table values function and 3 temporary tables.

stored procedure runs without any problem and i have re-created it several times but still i cannot get the sysdepends table populated for this SP.

I cannot publish the SP becasue it has some sensitive information, that's why i am asking the general rules that are used to populate the sysdepends table.

• The case you've cited is the main one. Is there a reason why the stored procedure is being created prior to the objects it references? Perhaps you can re-order the object creation. Other than that, is it a big concern? The sysdepends table doesn't have to be accurate for everything to work correctly (though if it is accurate it helps on reporting dependencies).

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Hi Brian,

thanks for your input. I found another reason , which probably is the reason why it's not getting populated in my case.

when you have a join to a temparary table (# table) sysdepends won't pick the actual table - participated in the join with temp table - as a dependent object. see below for an example. in this case only Region table will be picked up by the sysdepends and not the Categories.

create procedure a_test

as

create table #temp (id int)

insert into #temp

select 1

SELECT CategoryID, CategoryName, Description, Picture

FROM dbo.Categories a inner join #temp b

on a.CategoryID = b.ID

where CategoryID > 2

SELECT RegionID, RegionDescription

FROM dbo.Region

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply