Synonym in a view with linked server

• Here is my scenario:

1. I have two servers A and B that are linked together with linked server

2. They both have different databases in them

3. I have created a synonym on B to ease me with the SELECT stmts

4. I have also created a view that includes this synonym to give me the results I wanted

5. This synonym and my view together with the linked server were working fine until last week where we had new request to re-index databases in Server A nightly at 12pm

6. This has resulted the synonym to completely stop working

7. But, if I re-compile my view(that is using that synonym), it starts working fine again

8. I don't want to re-compile my view everytime I want to query something. What could been the cause? Anybody? Any help?

[font="Verdana"]Imagination is more important than knowledge-Albert Einstein[/font]

• We've actually had the exact same problem with synonyms involving a linked server, and we haven't found a solution. We eventually gave up and abandoned synonyms altogether.

Ed

Ed Leighton-Dick | Consultant | Microsoft Data Platform MVP | MCSE | PASS Regional Mentor

• 🙁 hmmm.

Thats a bad news!

Why is this synonym having so much problem?

I hope Microsoft will have some solution for this.

Anybody else in the same boat as us here?

[font="Verdana"]Imagination is more important than knowledge-Albert Einstein[/font]

• Was on the phone with Microsoft for almost 2 hours and Microsoft confirmed it is a bug. They are not going to fix this anytime soon.

Please be noticed of this issue guys!!!

• we have exactly the same issue...MSFT told us the same...

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply