Syncing your SQL Server database backups to an AWS S3 bucket

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Syncing your SQL Server database backups to an AWS S3 bucket

• I would recommend using Storage Gateways for SQL Server backups to S3 in an enterprise situation.

While you can attach an EBS volume and sync to S3, the cost for the amount of storage you'll need is greater than the cost of a properly configured set of Storage Gateways.

• The article presupposes that the source server is an AWS EC2 machine. If that's the case, why put access keys (the equivalent of a username/password) in plaintext into a configuration file? An IAM role can be attached to the EC2 instance and that can be used to gate the authorization.

• jwilsonDBA wrote:

I would recommend using Storage Gateways for SQL Server backups to S3 in an enterprise situation.

While you can attach an EBS volume and sync to S3, the cost for the amount of storage you'll need is greater than the cost of a properly configured set of Storage Gateways.

How is the Storage Gateway configured? My understanding is that it's a VM running somewhere (whether EC2 or on-prem) and so would be a single point of failure, no?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply