Sybase, ADS (Advantage Database System) and T-SQL:

• Is there anyone who might have some experience with executing a stored procedure on ADS or any remote / linked database server for that matter where a return value is not required?

as an example:

we can run an insert, update or delete on a linked server using the OPENQUERY or even a criteria driven string statement to return a record-set.

However, how do we go about running a USP (user defined stored procedure) on a linked server and we want that process to do something only without any expected returning value. The statement that I would like to run is more like EXECUTE PROCEDURE MYTESTPROC('123'). In this particular case the MYTESTPROC is a USP sitting on ADVANTAGE DATABASE SYSTEM (sybase) that takes a parameter and does something.

Any information will help.

thx

(let me know if you need more information)

Cheers,
    John Esraelo

• here is some form of a question that I have posted on the Advantage.xyz newsgroups and of course I have not received any information 🙁

-------------------------

what is the TSQL command to pass through from a linked server (ADS) on a sql server and executing / running a stored procedure on the ADS side..

as an example:

select * from openquery(MyADSLinkedServer, 'Execute Procedure Test1(''33333'')')

The statement in above does not work!!!

any ideas on how to execute that USP on the ADS from a difference server??

thx

PS> the Execute Procedure Test1('33333') statement does work fine on the ADS side. But, can not be run from a linked server with what I know and with what I am familiar with of course.

thx

Cheers,
    John Esraelo

• Stored procedures are in Database and in your case it will fail as the linked database doesn't have the same procedure defined there.

• so there is no way of executing a stored procedure on a linked server, is that what I am reading?

any suggestions?

Cheers,
    John Esraelo

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply