Suppressing Events Windows Event Log

• Sorry if this is an obvious one, but I'm having a hard time figuring this out.

I have a package that runs via SQLAgent on a 15 minute schedule. Works great. But my event log is filling up with events 12288 and 12289... respectively:

Package "(package name)" started.

and

Package "(package name)" finished successfully.

Is there a way for me to prevent these from being logged in the windows event log but still maintain execution history if I decide to take a look?

BTW- I have made no changes to the logging settings of the package itself.

Thanks!

• Go to "SQL Server Agent" ... can be found in Database sever tree of you database in Server Management Studio. Expand it. You'll find a folder 'Jobs' ... expand that too and find the Package that you have scheduled. Take properties and goto notification page and uncheck the 'Write to windows application event log'. This will do the trick you want althogh its a good practise to record when and how your package was run ... so alternativly you can choose to some other notification from the screen, mentioned above.

Peace out

FP

True Love is Like A Ghost. Everyone Talks About It & Nobody have seen it.

• Thanks for the info, FP, but alas, the "Write to Windows Application event log" is not checked!

I agree with you about keeping a log of the execution/status. Note that I am being notified by email upon job failure.

Ideally I would still like to be able to view the job history (right-click the job and choose "History".) -- but I would just prefer that my application log not get filled up with 12288 and 12289 events.

Any other suggestions?

• A workaround ... top of my head, you could have a WMI task for clearing the Event Log as per your requirments. I'll get back to you with something more, if i can.

FP

True Love is Like A Ghost. Everyone Talks About It & Nobody have seen it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply