Support Your Local SQL Server User’s Group

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Support Your Local SQL Server User’s Group

Brad M. McGehee
    DBA

• Brad,

The SQL Server Users Group in Atlanta is pretty active, and provides a lot of the things you mention in your post. I think one of the best features is access to experts on all aspects of SQL Server - there are DBA experts, developer experts, BI experts, both in the user group and among the speakers. For the most part, I've found the speakers to be very generous with their expertise (plus, they usually bring a book or 2 to give away!)

[font="Tahoma"]Eric Flamm, Flamm Consulting[/font]

• Thank you Brad for the much needed publicity. I have been running the user group where I live for 7 years now and things are looking much better past couple of years. Our groups run purely on speakers and their generosity with time, PASS support and vendor support. We do not enjoy any support from MS (as I understand that differs widely based on region). But other than that things are going great.

• I have to say I thought groups would die out, but as I've attended and presented at a few, I think that there is good information, networking, and camaraderie to be found with these groups.

• Just one additional point. Not all SQL usergroups are PASS chapters (mine isn't yet). So if there isn't a PASS chapter in the area, ask around and see if there's a non-affiliated usergroup in the area

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • That's a good point to mention that not all SQL Server user groups are not affiliated with PASS. Does anyone know of a published list of SQL Server user groups, no matter what their affiliation is?

Brad M. McGehee
    DBA

• The non PASS user groups that I know of are part of Culiminis so might be worth while asking someone there.

Some are not named SQL user group, they call themselves Microsoft user group and something generic and discuss all subjects of which SQL is also a part.Almost all SQL User groups are backed up by PASS or MS sponsored via Culminis. It is very difficult to run a UG with no backing but perhaps there are some like that also but none that I am aware of.

• Im inspired. Sydney has an active group but I havent gone in person for years. Time to get off my butt.

• Tony Rogerson and Simon Sabin run the UK User Group, always informative meetings with free beer and pizza courtesy of Microsoft. Meetings and live meetings at various points around the country http://sqlserverfaq.com/

Clear Sky SQL
    My Blog[/url]

• Greg Low, the MS regional director for Australia is also Director of PASS User Groups. Greg has even authored a book on how to grow and develop user group community and the book is widely in circulation among PASS community.

Please do check out the SQL user group if you live there.

• I'd be happy to host a user group list if anyone wants to let me know. Actually, I'll make an announcement.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply