Super Grand Total MDX

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Super Grand Total MDX

• Nice to see a question about MDX, thanks Devendra

• Nice question, but the correct answer is wrong. It should be the 4th one as said by the explanation, right?

• Good question, I haven't done any MDX so interesting to read the link.

Thanks.

• Nice question, but the correct answer is wrong. It should be the 4th one as said by the explanation, right?

• Also got it "wrong" even though the explanation given points to answer 4...

• The fourth option is the correct answer.
    This: "Super grand total of all the measures for all the dimension at all level"
    makes absolutely no sense since not only can measures have different formats they can have different methods of calculation (last non empty, average of children, distinct count etc.). This query will always result in either the default measure or (if it's not defined) the first measure defined in the XMLA of the cube aggregated over the All member of each dimension which is irrelevant in this case but worth mentioning for completeness.

Additionally, I have never seen the term "Super grand total" used in any SSAS documentation. A quick google search reveals this question as the only full hit. Is this a term you have made up? If not, can you cite your source?

I'm on LinkedIn

• Correct answer should be 4.  

I took a quick look and was surprised the official documentation doesn't make it clear that if you specify no measures in the MDX, you get the default measure.  I saw a lot of posts about determining which measure is the default but not its behavior.

• I join the chorus in that the answer is 4.  It's one of the reasons that you specifically set a default measure or else you might get the super sum of any measure.  The link does not specify otherwise and it's not an official source in any case.  Looking for a review and further explanation if the original answer is upheld.

• Yes, it is #4. It is the sum o the default measure.

Thomas LeBlanc, MVP Data Platform Consultant

• Just pitching in for #4 to get a point.

Just because you're right doesn't mean everybody else is wrong.

• It's been a whole day and there's been no comment from the author of the question about all the comments that say it's number 4, and if it will be corrected or why we are all wrong.  Had I written a question I would be watching the feedback pretty closely.  Just saying....

• If 4 is correct, less than 30 percent of respondents got it right.

• I thought I had it right! Let the adjudicator decide (did I spell that right?). Either way a good question?

• If 4 is correct, less than 30 percent of respondents got it right.

That in itself doesn't say much.  What were the other percentages?  I can't seem to find a way back there.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply