Summer Reading

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Summer Reading

• I never got into reading no-technical books.

I am now 27 and i havent read a single non-technical book outside of those i had to read for schools.

On the other hand i enjoy reading technical books. My summer read was Python Crash Course: A Hands-On, Project-Based Introduction to Programming

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by  ktflash.
  • You've mentioned the one I would mention - The Unicorn Project. I'm reading that now. I read The Phoenix Project.

Rod

• can't say I've read many technical books, that's an area where I have some deficiencies. I did enjoy The Soul of a New Machine by Tracy Kidder, and The Cuckoo's Egg by Clifford Stoll, but on the fiction side, Cryptonomicron and Snow Crash by Neil Stephenson, and pretty much everything written by William Gibson falls on my list of books that I like to re-read.

Luther

• Michael Crichton wrote some near-future thrillers that were well thought out, prophetic, and a good read. Stuff about the potential uses and abuses of technology like genetic engineering and nanites.

http://www.michaelcrichton.com/

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• I definitely agree about anything by William Gibson and Neil Stephenson as well. When everything closed down for COVID-19 I had Rainbows End by Vernor Vinge checked out of the library so I read it again before I had to return it. (No apostrophe in the title, as he sort of explains in the story).

• Both Snowcrash and Dimond Age by Neal Stephenson contain some very nice ideas about technology, and his essay In The Begining Was The Command-Line is truly excellent (if possibly a little outdated now).    If you want a more contemporary take on technology then try Cory Doctorow.  Little Brother is a good place to begin or the novella collection Radicalized if you want some shorter works.  The first story Unauthorised Bread is a rather good allegory for printer manufacturers only allowing their own "official" ink cartridges to be used with their printers.

• I read the first book in this series, The Eye of Minds (The Mortality Doctrine, Book One).  The characters pop in and out of a virtual game.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply